OT: "Adblue"

Which they can. It?s was you who decided to add an unspoken ?on a single tankful?. Folk has repeated said that they can?t go as far, which is wrong. They can go every bit as far.

Yeah, no doubt whilst towing a trailer load of unicorns etc etc. Just because you can drive 600 miles without refuelling doesn?t make it an essential attribute for 99.9% of the population.

Where have I lied? I will happily concede that EVs in their current state won?t suit everyone but with folk putting out so much misinformation I think it?s only reasonable to correct the misapprehensions.

I think also folk are so wedded to a feature that many rarely use (like a

600 mile range) they?re just not even prepared to consider an EV and ignore all the other advantages.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But I have no off-street parking, so I can't do that. More inconvenience, and no doubt cost, to 'refuel'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh FFS! do you really want to look like a complete wanker? They dont have tanks, so they cant go anywehere on a single tank at all. Try plugging one into a tank of disel and see how far it gets

More straw men.It was you that claimed that it was not me

It is you that is putting out misinformation.

Once a year I drive long distance somewhere or other.

Last week I drove around 300 miles in a day. Last year I drove 450 miles to Germany. There were no charging points on the ferry. There were no charging points at my destination. I simply would not have got there in an electric car.

Although an electric car would be entirely suitable for 90% of my journeys, the cost of having one AND hiring a fuel car for long distances - and you cant take a hire car abroad easily - exceeds the cost of having just the fuel car.

If of course I was doing a daily 90 mile commute and had a wife and kids and could afford the second car, the a leccy might make sense.

An ex GF said 'I can meet you half way, but the car hasn't enough charge to get to your place and back'.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

People are not as stupid as you. We are all aware of the fact that a

70kwh car can be charged currently for about £14.

But how may miles will the battery - at least £8000 to replace - do before its shagged?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's why I drive a twin turbo jaguar. THAT is pleasure!

Wait till the battery gives out

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They can't, simply because the energy density of fossil fuel is 100 times that of Lithium batteries. So taking into consideration a conservative conversion efficiency of 10% it is still 10 times more dense in terms of motive energy. (Diesels will generally be somewhat higher).

So every kg of diesel will get you 10 times further that the same kg of fully charged battery.

So, if a tonne of batteries can get you 200 miles, a ton of diesel will get you 2,000 miles. And without taking into consideration the lost of weight in fossil fuel as it's consumed.

I accept these figures may well be out of date, but they will still favour ICE engined cars in terms of range.

Reply to
Fredxx

They're cheaper to fuel at home. They're not cheaper to fuel if using a depot in the city for charging. An enthusiast will quote you economy figures based on home charging overnight. If you don't plan your usage well, your bills don't look nearly as attractive.

"So, the Taycan pays the highest rate - a dollar a minute - no matter how much energy is flowing. Our charging session cost $43, which is more than five times the going rate in California for the amount of energy we consumed, and more than double what Supercharging costs."

At home you pay by kWh (honest billing), while on the road you pay for minutes. It's to your advantage on the road, to run the battery right down, and fill your car using the most transfer-efficient part of the charging curve.

You don't want to be "topping up" your Taycan on the road. Topping up would be a home-charger thing. Plug in at 7PM, Taycan ready to go at 7AM the next morning. Using the right-hand part of this charging curve, at a depot in the city, would be a mistake.

* Doing good trip planning could save money on long trips.

If it's "too far" between charging stations, you're going to get gouged. You'll be forced to "fill the part of the tank above the 80% mark" so you can reach the next charger.

And besides, running the car between 0% and 60% is better for the battery, than running it between 40% and 100%.

And in a perfect world, these would be calcs the car does and shows the options on that slab of LCD glass.

Some charger networks have a "membership fee", as if it was a Costco. Further complicating the maths of getting charged. Just another form of highway robber. So rather than the battery capacity being about "range anxiety", it's also about "not getting gamed at the pump".

Yeah, the EV is a Sparkle Pony if you drive it to work and back every day. And that's the totality of your usage.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

You really think the government won't find a way of taxing EVs when they become the norm? Dream on...

I'd say we will have road pricing in the very near future, rather than taxing the fuel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I think we can be fairly certain that it will be implemented in the most inefficient and non-cost-effective way that they can devise, so we end up paying through the nose not just for the "taxation" element but also for the running costs of the inefficient way it which it is administered and policed.

Reply to
NY

I don't think so, and it's very London centric to consider charging for vehicles to travel in a place where there are Public Transport alternatives.

Reply to
Fredxx

if it's just you, that's one thing; if you have heavy or bulky items with you then PT is not always an answer

Reply to
charles

I was thinking not many places have the public transport that London has.

How many regions outside of our large cities have night buses running until 5am? Or even past 11pm?

Reply to
Fredxx

I'm tempted to say "What's a bus?".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm inclined to agree. Apart from a daily school bus to the nearest secondary school, our village has one bus a week - well, a bus into town and another to bring people back an hour or so later. And that's only seven miles (in different directions) from two market towns, so not somewhere that's out in the middle of nowhere.

Reply to
NY