[OT] Accumulated electrical 'stuff'

However you only dumped it because you took the trouble to look. If you hadn't looked, you wouldn't have known you already had one, so you'd have bought a new one anyway.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I need to do that too, but not quite to a small box-full. Loosing a skip full would certainly make a nice hole in the once useful stuff.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nope. I chuck stuff as soon as I don't need it any more.

My wife on the other hand takes up the other 95% of the space in the house with stuff she can't find....

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I am involved with a museum of aerospace stuff. Some of the most popular exhibits to visitors are old typewriters and mechanical calculators!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Excuse me madam, you've wandered into the office."

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Hmm. Not sure. Doubtless in the past I've looked for something I don't have and even not looked for something I do have, but generally, I have a pretty good idea of the stuff accumulated, and (roughly) where to find it. The problem, of course, is knowing when to stop. Can it really be worth storing a widget for twenty years, through a house move or three, when a new one can be bought for a pound or two? Trouble is, just buying a new one gives nothing like the satisfaction of needing something, knowing it is there, finding it then using it :-)

Reply to
News

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Much as people like to see museums, much of the stuff that gives real pleasure is the stuff they themselves have actually used or even owned, years ago. I sometimes display and run old toy trains, and guys my age really appreciate that. No interest in actually acquiring any, but just love seeing the type of things they once had. One poor woman, a few years ago, was sobbing almost uncontrollably because I had some Britains lead farm animals exactly as she had played with as a little girl, 60+ years ago. Interesting people appear, too. One year, an old lady told me that she had worked for Meccano Limited in Liverpool many years ago, actually making some of the stuff I was displaying.

Reply to
News

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

Sorry Brian, no Centronics printer switch. The closest I have is a Centronics printer cable, and even two inches of ribbon cable with Centronics socket at both ends. That was used to connect my first 'proper' PC to a dot matrix printer. The PC was an Apricot, running their version of DOS 2.x, which taught me a lot.

Reply to
News

Very true, but more and more my thoughts run along the lines of "if I needed to get another one, how much time/trouble/money would it be?". I suppose that's just another symptom of stuff being much cheaper than it used to be.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

needed the

Not me, I know what I have and where it is 99% of time. Chucking out causes trouble as I will remember having widget X and where widget X should be. When it isn't there I'll look in possible secondary or tertiary locations, when that fails I'll try and remember if it has been chucked or not. Memory of this aspect of "useful widgets" is no where near as good as the "I have one of those" memory. Perhaps I ought to keep a "chucked out" list.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The opposite can happen - Many years ago, I was visiting the Smithsonian, and noticed what appeared to be a Horn and Hardhart (not sure of the spelling) Automat, which I fondly remember my Dad taking me to in NYC. I thought I'd found their food hall.

It was an exhibit.

Reply to
S Viemeister

News wrote in news:WOXFTXnFb0uVFw87 @nospam.demon.co.uk:

I totally agree. Will the younger generation find old iPads interesting? I doubt it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

satisfaction

Quite, even with online ordering and "next day delivery" that can be too long. Much more satisfying to have the requirement, a 10 minute rummage, find the solution and apply it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

IME this tends towards a 10 day rummage!

Reply to
Capitol

I've ben sorting out some of my late father's stuff in my mum and dads garage.

He has some tins and things that were his dads containing what are obviously scavenged nails and such like. I can't remember the last time I collected and stored a used nail.

Reply to
Chris French

How about "Pieces of string too short to be useful"?

Reply to
Charles Hope

The farmer over the road would deny that such a thing existed.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

+1 here;!.....
Reply to
tony sayer

Yes me too, well the ex missus had it, its still here new caps and all in its still fine apart from the QUAD lamp having expired but will get aroundtuit replacing that with a LED one.

Not that authentic but I ask myself if Peter Walker would have used it if it were available then and I'm sure he would:!)..

Must get around to upping the 33 rail volts sometime, they say it does improve it a bit....

Reply to
tony sayer

I far prefer the II

NT