OT accountants - how much per year/return/??

Since I went over to clipper (very short) cuts, I need to have my hair cut every five weeks - by then it's starting to feel uncomfortable - and I do so. Cost here is A$15, £10, and I only have to go downstairs (street level of my tower is shops)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Get yourself a beard trimmer and DIY, in the spirit of this group. I've been doing that for many years now and it only takes a couple of minutes every 2 weeks. A beard trimmer cost around £20 last time I looked.

Reply to
unknown

An angle grinder would be even better.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

tosser

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f8g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

TOSSER

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Since a clipper cut is done with a plastic spacer comb on standard clippers I have been told to just DIY as you can't go wrong. But discretion is the better part of valour.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

They ask the hairdresser... See other comments about merchants being asked for their sales records then cross referencing with declared jobs by those customers or restraunts buying more goods than the declared sales can account for.

Even if you manage to hide "cash jobs" both input and output, there may well be records held by others of transactions taking place that link directly to you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Interesting to read an old Dick Francis book called 'Risk'. The main protagonist gets kidnapped and into all sorts of scrapes. He is an accountant, in a small town, and just knows too much about a lot of local businesses - one of which has a lot to hide.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , at

09:59:17 on Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Dave Liquorice remarked:

It's a long time since I've been to a hairdresser, but do they ask for ID these days?

I've been struggling to think back over the last 40 years and whether anyone has ever paid me in cash (for work done either employed or self employed - not some old furniture sold on eBay). And I honestly can't think of a single time.

Reply to
Roland Perry

[snip]

Being a professional bastard seems to be a qualification for the job.

A few years ago the gummint told the branch of gummint I was working for that they should "absorb" job losses in other departments. Some of the promising ones were sent for assessment and I was one of the assessors. One guy was very promising ex HMRC so numerate and fairly sharp. At the end of the session we went to a local restaurant. He spent most of the night apparently chatting up the woman restaurant owner. Lots if compliments, expressions of sympathy that she must be run off her feet, expressed surprise when she said this was a quiet night. So he asked which nights were busy and she told him.

On the way back to the hotel he rang a mate working at HMRC and told him the restaurant should be inspected for under-declaring turnover because he had seen some dodgy handling of cash and had noticed POS terminals that seemed to be set up to send money to different merchant accounts. He passed the details of the number of covers that night and the information about which nights were busy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There you go again.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , at 13:04:22 on Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Steve Firth remarked:

They (and the breweries who have revenue streams to protect) do the same to pubs on a regular basis. But none of this identifies the individuals spending their hard-earned^H^H^H^Hlaundered cash in such places.

Reply to
Roland Perry

No need, they'll have asked you for the hairdresser normally used and take your picture when they visit to verify that what you told them is more or less correct.

Same here. I hardly use any cash at all these days, which would make hiding a cash job very difficult. Don't buy groceries on the CC for a couple of weeks, why? It obviously can't go into a bank account to pay the bills that are on DD or STO...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice