OT - 32" widescreen TV.

I'm in the market for one. CRT type. Best pic, but internal speakers and amps won't be used, so doesn't need surround etc. 3 SCARTS + would be useful.

Last Which I saw reckoned the Loewe was better than the Philips, although I've had Philips up until now. Don't like Sony colour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Funnily enough, this is just what I'm looking for, with two more criteria: no 100Hz or other picture mangling, and no shiny cabinet.

Only candidate I've found is the JVC 32T4B, but most dealers only seem to have the silver version (32T4S).

Jim Easterbrook

We've had a 32" Panasonic widescreen for the last 5 years and been very impressed with it. Although saying that, I don't think there is much to choose between TV's nowdays as they all seem fairly reliable. IIRC Sony TV's don't use chop-mode (they use seperate transformers for tube heaters ect) power supplies, which if still the case would explain why the quality of the picture doesn't deteriorate as quick as other TV's.

Reply to
Kaiser

I've had a Thomson 32" for two years. Very pleased and I think that this brand is usually cheaper than most.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

We were looking for the same thing ~2.5 years ago, and after a lot of comparing decided that the Sony gave the best picture overall. Out of interest, what don't you like about Sony colour?

We ended up with a 32" Wega, which we've been most pleased with. The internal speakers are frankly awful, but they aren't used, so I don't really care.

Reply to
Grunff

Reply to
John Mce

im selling some 32'' TVs on ebay if your interested

bill

In message , John Mce writes

I had a Panny. Never again. Bought it to replace a much older Panny that I'd had for many years. Inept aspect ratio switching, black line down the picture approx 2/3 rds of the way across the screen. Onboard software repeatedly crashing. Onboard timer only worked intermittently.

Panasonic customer service, when they eventually responded, said they all do that! They were right, in as much as I eventually found a user group of people suffering the same problems with the same telly!

Eventually due to consumer pressure they broadcast an OTA update, which fried one of the boards in the sets, requiring its replacement. But they didn't have any boards available, so a lot of people were without a working TV for several weeks. Luckily just before that happened I had managed to get my retailer to take back my excuse for a TV and replace it with a Sony.

Best thing about the Sony is that it actually works exactly as it says it should in the manual. On the one occasion when I contacted Sony (a change in the way C4 were broadcasting interrupted the AR switching on the set) I got a prompt reply saying they would look into it, and an update that fixed the problem was broadcast within a month.

I've been very pleased with mine.

Reply to
Philip Stokes

intermittently.

replace

Is that OTA as in 'Over The Air'...?

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

In message , Mathew J. Newton writes

Yes.

Reply to
Philip Stokes

I guess I should've been more specific...

How does that work? I was aware of cable boxes etc being 'upgradable' in this way (given that the cable companies run the network) but 'conventional' TVs also? Who/what does the broadcasting of the update? Cheers,

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

Dunno but it happens with my Freeview box too.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Mathew J. Newton writes

The Digital Television Group broadcast the updates via the Engineering Channel on DTT Mux A (BBC multiplex). If by 'conventional' TV you mean analogue only, then they aren't upgradeable OTA, as the updates can only be received by sets with digital tuners, or digital set-top boxes.

See

Philip Stokes

,

'upgradable'

update?

Engineering

Ah.. thanks for that. I tried Googling for further info but didn't turn up much.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

Add to specification: no analogue tuner; no PAL, teletext or NICAM decoders; accepts RGB i/p on all SCARTs. Just a damn good monitor really, and bring back matt black cabinets.

usual number. Any idea how the 'Auto VNR' works?

Reply to
Andy Wade

This is uk.d-i-y - go fetch the masking tape & "chassis black" out of the garagae :-)

Reply to
adder1969

Indeed. Having got my current telly (Panasonic 28" WS) towards the end of the last black phase, I want something bigger, but am waiting till cabinets go back to black again. Most of the people I've discussed this with would also prefer black TV cabinets, but hens teeth are more common at the moment.

In built surround sound (in sense of TV including amps for rear speakers with prologic decoder) seems to have gone out of fashion too. Seems you have to have yet another box to do DTS sound. And no doubt another remote control. As if I hadn't got enough of the damn things already.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

I'd prefer to keep the sound as separate as possible. Much of it would be duplicated if you already have a decent sound system, and sound thingies don't go out of fashion as fast as TV thingies.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)