what is the best TV type for daylight viewing

My TV by necessity is in a South facing room. What is the TV type that gives the brightest picture, I guess.

Reply to
Broadback

Broadback formulated the question :

OLED I think, but I have a recent large screen LED. My living room faces south / west, so it gets sun from early afternoon the late in the evening. To get around it, I fitted heavy vertical blinds.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I know that is an option but I do not wish to have any curtains or such. Just wondered which is the best TV type.

Reply to
Broadback

Brightness is only one consideration, but Sony AF9 OLED is 900 cd/m2 and some models in the Samsung Qled range are up to 2000 cd/m2 peak.

That said, reflections in the screen are a bigger problem than how bright is is IMO.

Reply to
Lee

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:qs0kkr$ivl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Yes, that's certainly the case with smartphones, particularly with the best of them like iphones.

but I have a recent large screen LED. My living room

Reply to
Ray

+1 Yes, reflection of a strong light source is more of a problem. If it is a sunlit scene outside of the window you are more likely to see this rather than the TV picture.
Reply to
alan_m

You need to watch reflections as well. I'm not sure these days what the current advice is, but it used to be that you want moderate light in the room, not too bright but not pitch dark either for best eye comfort. Not able to see them these days, but when I could then LCD were OK but then there was little else about . Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

The one behind the blackout curtains

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Samsung QLEDs have a very good anti-reflective finish (just don't handle it, but a microfibre cloth will brush it clean) and very wide angles (VA panel (narrow angle) with a layer for wide angle viewing) Can't remember if these attributes start at Q70 or Q80. Q80 55" is a grand on Richer Sounds atm, with free delivery and 6-year warranty.

Reply to
PeterC

There is no such thing if the low winter sun shines right onto the screen.

In France you can get vertical binds where the 'slats' are made of some sort of translucent plastic that has a semi-mirror bonded on to it. This allows you to reduce the amount of light getting in when the sun is low and not hidden by clouds and when it is cloudy you can rotate them to allow more light in.

Reply to
Andrew