OT:

A US nuclear-powered submarine hit an ?object? while submerged in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region, injuring some of the crew, the United States Navy has said.

None of the sailors on board the USS Connecticut suffered life-threatening injuries, the Navy said in a brief statement on Thursday.

Reply to
Sysadmin

??

Struggling to see the point of crossposting this to a DIY group. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

They travel at about 30MPH, and there are no seat belts, air bags, or crumple zones. Plus, the interiors are full of hard surfaces you really would not want to collide with after they come to a sudden stop, whilst you are continuing to travel at 30MPH.

Reply to
GB

Same here, but at least it's marked "OT". I can only see "uk.d-i-y" in the newsgroup list. Thunderbird 78.14.0.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Nobody is saying what the 'Object' was, I was thinking perhaps crash/ safety helmets might mitigate some injury.

Reply to
Sysadmin

I assume you meant post OT. Where should they post?

Reply to
Pancho

And how come their sonar didn't warn them of the object ?. Even more mysterious.

Reply to
Andrew

Because they don't use sonar most of the time, the just listen using hydrophones - aided by computer analysis of sounds. Active sonar gives your position away far better than it lets you find them.

Any object dead in the water is effectively invisible.

Reply to
Steve Walker

true, but I've seen it on other groups as well. Obviously too much time on their hands. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I was wondering if they collided with Brian Blessed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No chance - they'd have heard him well in advance!

Reply to
Steve Walker

But we know from the Vigil series that submarine sonars are crap.

Reply to
mechanic

some year ago, one of my Brothers-in-law was an engineering officer on a RN submarine (diesel-electric). On an exercise off the west coast of Scotand the boat hit something underwater that wasn't on any charts. They suffered some damage and, as I understand, the investigation went: " You shouldn't have hit it" "What was it, not on any charts?" "None of your business. but you shouldn't have hit it!"

Reply to
charles

The answer is here!...

tony sayer

China urges US to clarify nuclear submarine incident Xinhua | Updated: 2021-10-09 09:10

BEIJING -- The US should clarify an incident involving a US nuclear submarine, including the exact location of the incident, the intention of the US navigation, details of the incident, what the submarine collided with, whether it caused nuclear leakage, and whether it damaged the local marine environment, said a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson.

Zhao Lijian made the remarks Friday at a press briefing when asked to comment on the incident. According to US media reports Thursday, a US nuclear-powered submarine collided with an unknown object in international waters in the South China Sea on Oct 2, causing many injuries.

Zhao said that for a long time, the US has been stirring up trouble and creating tensions in the South China Sea in the name of freedom of navigation, which is the root cause of the incident and poses serious threats and major risks to regional peace and stability.

Zhao noted the US deliberately delayed and concealed the details of the incident, lacking transparency and responsibility. China and countries around the South China Sea have no choice but to question the truth of the incident and its intentions.

The US and the UK recently decided on nuclear submarine cooperation with Australia, a non-nuclear-weapon state, dispatching nuclear submarines to the Asia-Pacific region without scruples, said Zhao.

This would create the risk of nuclear proliferation, induce arms race, undermine the construction of a nuclear-free zone in Southeast Asia, and dramatically increase the chances of nuclear accidents, he said.

"The US should abandon its old Cold War mentality, zero-sum game thoughts, and narrow-minded geopolitical ideas, and stop these wrong practices that undermine regional peace, stability, and development," Zhao said.

Reply to
Sysadmin

sounds very like the "greater South East Asia Co-prosperity" objective

Reply to
charles

The conjecture over on Reddit, is the collision, the wording suggests a vessel collision. And there is a history of subs "playing chicken". Perhaps there is a second sub somewhere, with a dent in it :-) And a commander, saying in Chinese "Ow! My head!".

Paul

Reply to
Paul