Is one allowed to smoke in a submarine?

Is one allowed to smoke in a submarine? Was he ever?

Reply to
micky

Solved my own question: Yes. No. But only since 2010.

I can see it in the other boats but I thought it woudl be banned much earlier on submarines, since they only have so much air.

But in "Run Silent, Run Deep" a couple people were smoking.

Reply to
micky

Congratulations for finding the answer yourself.

You should go thank yourself.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Smoking was a tradition in the military since they discovered tobacco. They sold cigarettes for a dime a pack or so when I was in and smoking was almost encouraged. In boot camp, you could go out for a smoke, even when we were locked down in the barracks. I kept a cigar or two in the butt of my M1 and I would bum a cigarette if we were in the barracks, just to be outside.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not in the past ll years.

The Navy announced today a ban on smoking aboard submarines while they are deployed below the surface after medical testing showed non-smokers suffered effects of second-hand smoke. ... Mark Jones of the Commander Naval Submarine Forces out of Norfolk, Va., said about 40 percent of the submarine sailors are smokers

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Dang ! .. here I always thought that Hollywood always told the Whole Truth and the Absolute Truth ! ... I am now so disillusioned ... John T.

Reply to
hubops

Reminds me that you would get on a commercial flight and they would give you a small pack of cigarettes to smoke during the flight.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I forgot about those. My favorite was Northwest. They didn't give you those little nips. The galley had fifths and they poured a stiff drink. There were sleeves over the labels but it wasn't rotgut.

Reply to
rbowman

Wow, 40% is a lot. I wonder how many could quit and how many had to quit the submarine service.

Reply to
micky

No, because it leaves a brown grime on the windows.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Actually, smoking was banned on subs not only because of the second hand smoke danger but it really did foul a lot of the equipment, which cost lots of extra tax dollars for maintenance/repair.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

When I was in boot camp, there was a special area on the side of the buildings for smoking, like a pea gravel filled square, IIRC. It wasn't free reign either. There were rules, e.g. length of time, number of people, etc. You couldn't just go outside and hangout for hours whenever you wanted.

I *think* I remember smoke breaks during marches and drill practice, but it could be that I just remember "smoke 'em if you got 'em" from the movies. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I was in the electronics field while in the service. There was no smoking in the rooms where electronic equipment was running, even back in the 70's.

Farting was allowed though. When I was in Germany, we had a German national engineer working with us. He could clear the mess hall with his farts. His favorite trick was to wait until a couple of us were squatting down, trying to load a piece of heavy equipment into a rack. He'd walk by and let loose something I think he had held in for days. Our eyes would water, we'd start coughing, but there was nothing we could do until we got the equipment on the rails. We were stuck inhaling his stink until the equipment was secure.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I have that problem too. I think I dated some really beautiful women but it might just have been a movie.

Reply to
micky