OT 1TB flash drive for £8.50 on Ebay

A friend of mine emailed me to say he's bought a 1TB flash drive on Ebay fo r £8.50 and can't get it to work. The seller has offered to refund 50% of his payment and let him keep it!!
I've not bought a flash drive for a while, I know them come down in price a nd go up in capacity but this is crazy. I looked on MyMemory and found it s hould cost hundreds of pounds!!
I look on Ebay and find lots of 1TB flash drives for the same price!
What's going on here!!!???
Presumably none of them work or maybe they have a capacity of a few megabyt es and some people don't notice?
Murmansk wrote:

That's the usual con.

I got burned that way with a fake USB memory stick. It was very, very, very convincing - even the packaging looked right. It wasn't even that cheap. I told the seller I'd report him if he didn't refund my money, which he did. Then I reported him anyway.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 43rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

In case the O/P isn't aware, there are tools to check for fake sizes
<https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-detect-fake-or-counterfeit-usb-flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/

I'm a Linux person, so none of these are appropriate. I worked it out myself with mkfile and dd. But by the time you have the drive and they have your money, it's too late ...
--
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:26:46 +0000, Huge wrote:

flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/>

I use this on FreeBSD.
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2014/161/F3-Testing-Flash-Memory
The other con is that they were made as 1tb and are knackered and remapped to just use available good regions. Sadly these dodgy drives tend to get worse so are the exact opposite of secure back up systems. A friend om mine has got a big drive, but its very small. it does not seem to work in some usb sockets at all, so I wonder if there is a problem with powering them or drivers? Anyway, many seem very slow to me. I am on the look out for a very simple reliable system I can back up many computers onto in different partitions, what do the folks here think is the best course to take. a big ramstick that works or just a plug in usb drive partitioned into several smaller ones? Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff wrote:

Are any of the reputable manufacturers even making thumb drives larger than 256GB ?
On 20/09/17 11:24, Andy Burns wrote:

I couldnt find any.
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a

The idea that a flash memory has degraded so that less than 1% of it is still useful is a nonsense
They are usually considered as sub standard if less than 98% is unusable
It's also impossible to use them at all if the first block doesn't work as that's the one that's needed to contain the mapping to the good bits
There is no chance at all that a stated 8gB flash has a 1tB chip (or combination of chips) inside, and any attempt to pretend that it has using this "knackered" nonsense is a fraud.
tim
On 19/09/17 19:15, Murmansk wrote:

It's a con.
On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 19:15:42 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:

Perhaps 1TB is the model number and not the capacity? :-)
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

But the sign says '24 hour cleaners'!
That's just the name of the shop, dear.
The Bonzo Dog Doo-dah Band :-)

there are 24 of us and we clean for 1 hour each
tim

Unfortunately, ebay seem to make it deliberately hard to report this. The 'report an item' form doesn't allow entering any text, so you're just forced to choose from a predefined list of criteria, where 'listing is full of lies' isn't an option. If you select the nearest one it just submits the report, without any option to justify why.
Nearest I could find is Listing practices -> Fraudulent listing activities -> You suspect the listing is fraudulent
which is probably worth doing anyway. Maybe if lots of people do it they'll take notice.
Theo
On 10:54 21 Sep 2017, Theo wrote:

I once had such a poor response from eBay staff when I was sent the wrong goods (it led to long discussions which went nowhere) that I don't have faith in eBay putting anything right.
A low rating for seller feedback seems to have more effect.
I have bought from many good sellers on eBay but the effort needed when you get that one bad seller doesn't make up for the good experiences. I generally stay away from eBay and prefer to make purchases I'm prepared to throw in the bin if it's wrong.