Orientation of bib taps?

From googling around, I get the impression I can just smear that on the threads, turn the tap all the way in, then back it off until it's pointing just the way it want? If so, that would be perfect.

Reply to
Adam Funk

If it worked in the past, it was pure coincidence. You can have the supply pipe coming in at any angle, so to have something which only worked at one angle would be silly. The threads are tapered, and thus seal on the threads rather than bottoming against a flange - so fibre washers are no good. You just need sufficient packing round the thread to make it go tight at the desired orientation. As others have said, hemp plus Boss White or whatever is far better than PTFE tape for this.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Bib taps usually have parallel threads the should be sealed with a washer between the shoulders and not by the threads. You just need a washer of the right thickness to compress enough when the tap is in the right place. Rubber washers are probably the easiest but I use fibre washers as that's what I have.

Reply to
dennis

All the bib taps I have used have parallel threads.

Reply to
dennis

IME, if they line up perfectly its just luck. Its easier to assume they won't, and make sure you include enough sealing / locking material to do the job. These days that tends to be PTFE tape or cord. (hemp etc is banned on potable water supplies).

With tape you need to use *lots* (15 to 20 turns) of it winding on a few turns at the end of the threads and then building up thickness toward the back where the flange on the tap is. You can introduce a twist or fold in the tape as you apply it to make it narrower, and build depth more rapidly.

You can then screw it into the socket until the rotation feels stiff enough to fix it in place. Then finally rotate however much additional turn is required to get the required orientation.

Reply to
John Rumm

Agreed, in most cases, but _upstands_ tend to be from below. Making the taps to fit upstands would at least get rid of one aspect and be no worse for the others. The worst case would be if the threads were intended to match but the tap wouldn't quite tighten to upright - need some ingenuity to solve that one!

Reply to
PeterC

I'll bet the OP does not have any.

Reply to
ARW

Cotton, unwound sisal, or wool with a bit of mastic would probably all work - certainly better than trying to use washers and shims on the flange/shoulder.

Reply to
nothanks

Me too. But 1/2' is small enough to be able to seal parallel threads pretty well, and, in the absence of a suitable washer, a wodge of PTFE tape squeezed out at the end plus enough on the threads to make it stff has always worked for me. If it leaks at first try it will be a slow leak, and you can re do it until it gets tight at the right point and doesn't leak. Most things can go wrong in my hands, but I've usually found it quite easy, reassured by the fact tha a slight leak is not usually a disaster for most bib tap applications. Sealing the threads with PTFE or one of the other suggestions at least ensures that anly leak will be very small, and makes accidentally unscrewing it less likely.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I wouldn't have like to be given that task as a toolmaker!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Well, it's been 15--20 years since I installed the ones I'm replacing, & I'm just about convinced that I remembered the installation wrong! I ended up buying new wallplates as well as taps because one of the taps would not come out of the plate in a non-destructive manner.

Reply to
Adam Funk

On further reflection, I might have used hemp on the old ones. I did find (& throw away) some mouldy plumbing hemp in the cellar during a clean-out a few years ago.

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk