Thanks.
. What am I missing?

Nothing - it is usual
On 2019-05-16, DerbyBorn wrote:

So experimenting with different combinations of fibre washers until the result is pointing the right way is really how you have to do this?
On 16/05/2019 18:09, Adam Funk wrote:

Loctite 55 Pipe Sealing Cord a modern PTFE alternative to old style hemp and plumbers mait.
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On 2019-05-16, DJC wrote:

Looks interesting, thanks.
On 2019-05-16, Jim K.. wrote:

I tried it with and without PTFE tape on the threads. Both ways, the tap went in farther than I expected, ending up pointing down and left rather than just down.
On 16/05/2019 18:09, Adam Funk wrote:

I believe Jim meant make your own washer with ptfe, not wrap it around the threads.
--
Adam

Or you can wind the PTFE tap on the threads progressively thicker near the back of the fitting until the threads jam at the point you want them to.
--

Roger Hayter

On 16/05/2019 19:30, Roger Hayter wrote: .

That's the theory.
PTFE of course is like a woman. Smooth to the touch and easily wrapped around your fingers. But it will not actually do what you want it to do.
--
Adam

IME it works alright on brass. But Fernox LS-X will probably work on 1/2" BSP if you let it set before pressurising it.
--

Roger Hayter

On 2019-05-16, Roger Hayter wrote:

Also interesting, thanks.
On 2019-05-16, Roger Hayter wrote:

From googling around, I get the impression I can just smear that on the threads, turn the tap all the way in, then back it off until it's pointing just the way it want? If so, that would be perfect.
On 17/05/2019 12:50, Adam Funk wrote:

Bib taps usually have parallel threads the should be sealed with a washer between the shoulders and not by the threads. You just need a washer of the right thickness to compress enough when the tap is in the right place. Rubber washers are probably the easiest but I use fibre washers as that's what I have.

Your expectations of accurate threading of both parts is way too high. ;-)
I think this is probably a case for old fashioned hemp and some sort of plumber’s sealing compound. Fiddle with both until you’ve got it right.
PTFE tape will work if you use enough but it’s really too slippery and can squidge out as you tighten things up.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 16 May 2019 17:30:06 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Had this with a pair of Bristan 1901 bib taps and upstands. One was perfect; the other was >150 deg. out. I had nothing that would correct the bad one, so I swapped them over and found that nylon washers just did the job and made them both the same. Needed a bit more tape in on of them but it's not a noticeable difference. I was lucky to have the washers - in an Aldidl kit, IIRC.
Given the total price of the fittings, they should be correct to start with.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

It is technically impractical with ordinary manufacturing to make the two brass parts and a (variable) standard washer do up to a precise predicted angle. And it is not what is expected by plumbers. Not least because the supply pipe can come from any quadrant (or any intervening angle if one is untidy enough).
--

Roger Hayter

On Fri, 17 May 2019 09:07:52 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Agreed, in most cases, but _upstands_ tend to be from below. Making the taps to fit upstands would at least get rid of one aspect and be no worse for the others. The worst case would be if the threads were intended to match but the tap wouldn't quite tighten to upright - need some ingenuity to solve that one!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 2019-05-17, PeterC wrote:

Thanks (to everyone else too) for the tips. I'll keep fiddling with washers, hemp, and so on but...

...there ought to be a better way.
On 16/05/2019 17:24, Adam Funk wrote:

Wrap some hemp and plumbers mate around the threads, then you'll find that the thread tightens earlier and you can set it in any position without leaks.
I've always had that issue. I guess its the variability of the treads on both parts. Brian
--
----- --