Opening router ports?

Hello, We are setting up some point of sale at work. Apparently the client PCs can't get to the server PC and port 1443 needs to be open. Does this need to be open on the router? I'd have thought that was for non local traffic.

But i'm no expert.

If so can anyone assist in opening port 1443 on a Vigor 2860?

Reply to
R D S

No, not unless it's a cloud-based system, you might give access to the whole world to you ePOS!

Each PC has it's own local firewall, click start and type "adva" and click the "windows defender with advanced firewall"

try it on the server first and create an inbound rule for TCP port 1443, if that doesn't work, then do the same on all client PCs but for an outbound rule.

If the software was better behaved it would create any required rules for you during installation ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are both PC and server on the same LAN? (opening ports etc, only applies to traffic between WAN and LAN sides of the router)

If you need to open a port, its done from the NAT menu on the control panel.

Reply to
John Rumm

It only needs to be open on the router if the connection goes through the router (as opposed to the switch which is also in the 2860).

Are both the client and server PCs on the same subnet? If they are then the problem almost certainly is nothing to do with the router (I have had cases where the router's firewall prevents traffic between things on the same subnet, but it's rare). If the server and client PCs are on different subnets then the router will need to allow traffic through its firewall. There may need to be some routing setup as well.

See above, describe your network (i.e. what are the PCs' IP addresses etc. and how they're connected to the router), and then it's more likely we can help.

I have a 2860 so know my way around it fairly well.

Reply to
Chris Green

where is the server, and where are the clients, please?

You haven't said whether it is local traffic or not

Why, if its local traffic?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting, I set up inbound on the server, i'll do outbound on the others.

Reply to
R D S

It's all local. Currently just 2 PCs connected to a separate switch (only using 1 router port), with a couple to add.

I know, that's mainly why I asked, i've been told it needs doing by the folk installing the point of sale, but it makes no sense to me.

Reply to
R D S

If they are all connected to the same switch, and on the same subnet, then the router does not get a say.

If all on the same switch, and on the same subnet, and there are no VLANs in use (managed switches only), then the machines should be able to see each other. The only obstruction that can play a part is the firewall on each machine.

As a starting test, have you checked that each machine can ping the other?

Reply to
John Rumm

where is the server?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who owns the server? It is a real server OS, or just some random "server" cobbled out of a workstation, perhaps belonging to you?

Port 1443 is a common port for MS SQL Server to accept incoming client connections. If you have an application using this installed on your server, you need to adjust firewall settings on this machine.

'd say 99% nothing to do with router configuration, unless the software supplying company has some really insecure ideas about remote access.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

No, SQL by default uses 1433.

1443 sounds like someone wanting port 443 for TLS, but trying to avoid conflicts with another web server, so picking x443 for random values of x.
Reply to
Andy Burns

My 2 pennoth

IF the server is on the same LAN as the PC clients the router firewall is not involved - only the switch

IF the *server* is on a windows piece of shit then by default modern windows disallows inter-PC communication and it's the firewall on the

*SERVER* windows piece of shit that needs to be opened up to allow the clients access.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which is what I suggested yesterday, the O/P suggested he'd made a change on the server and was going to make changes on the client, maybe he'll report back?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's SQL server on windows (8.1, yeah I know)

I've not had chance to mess as it's in a public environment and I can't be arsed with all the masking up and distancing and such. I'll have to tinker after hours. But not today!

Thinking about it, for several reasons, it would probably be better on a PC that we have in a back room running Windows 10. Or I suppose we could just get a PC that runs as a server alone, it's not like half decent second user stuff is expensive, is it?

Reply to
R D S

Oh, now that's interesting, are we in typo territory perhaps? Looks like we might be fettling the wrong port.

Reply to
R D S

if, as you've said, it's SQL server, then rules for 1433 not 1443 will be right

Reply to
Andy Burns

There will be a "port forwarding" option on the Vigor, use that. Do the EPOS clients have static address?

Reply to
Graham.