Oil burner not lighting but not locking out.

My oil fired boiler with a Reillo RDB burner, and has developed a new fault:

The motor starts and quite often instead of lighting there is a sort of short brr hmmm noise which last for 2-3 secs and is then repeated about

12-15 secs later. This can happen several times.

The burner does not lock out and quite often eventually fires up normally.

The boiler is about 9 years old and I replaced the motor and oil pump about a year ago.

Which part do you think is failing?

Reply to
Michael Chare

If it's not locking out despite failing to ignite I'd be immediately suspicious of the sequence control box.

Reply to
johnjessop46

Thank you. Oddly enough it has decided to work properly for the moment.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Just biding its time until the next cold snap/Christmas eve/New Year's eve. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I fear it is waiting until I go away and the temperature outside drops below zero. I did take the burner off the boiler and found a little unburnt oil on the nozzle support. The nozzle is screwed in tight but maybe there is some dirt causing a small leak. I've ordered a new spanner so that I can hold below the nozzle when I try to unscrew it.

Reply to
Michael Chare