O.T. : What Have We Done ... ?

No there is not. I blame Thatcher for all this. Without here Maxie would not be in the gutter.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Does anyone care?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In that case why don't you stop posting s**te and making a complete pratt of yourself?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Prolly because its the only thing he is professionally competent at

Reply to
geoff

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

So from where did the current teenage generation get the higher inflection at the end of a sentence, turning every statement into what sounds like a question?

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Australian soaps.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Australian soaps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As others have said it's Aussie soaps, the trait's known as AQI (Australian Questioning Intonation)...the same source that leads more and more people to pronounce 'no' more similarly to 'nigh'. Have a listen to Abi (Abby, Abbey?) on Eastenders, she's a professional exponent.

Reply to
Lino expert

Les (plural) :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Surely Welsh (Cymru) water? I know most of it heads off to Birmingham though. T'was lovely when I lived in the Midlands. Glawster wor aa is horribly hard in comparison.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Elan valley reservoirs serve Birmingham, Vyrnwy serves Liverpool (and the visiting Brummies). (Near enough.)

Reply to
Rod

It's not just teenagers. 20s too. It's the long years viewing soaps from former colonies.

Reply to
<me9

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bob Mannix" saying something like:

Utter, utter c*ck.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Outside of Ealing Studios, did they ever?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC saying something like:

And still, some people think the Government has done nothing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Indeed

I have a copy of Microsoft Bookshelf. A very handy reference application from 1995. A bit dated and also american biased but handy anyway. One function is a demonstration of how words should be pronounced. Clicking on 'Hotel' gets a distinctive american accent saying hotel. It doesn't say otel. Get the same with herb although this one does say the herb pronunciation is middle english with erb being french.

Reply to
Alang

All o Glasgay is hard, Jimmy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have heard them all over Lahdan.

..He comes from Lanhdan ..Saying fink and fir-een ..He cannot speak properly, if you know what I mean

.."wiv aught me barra, me auld c*ck sparra" ..He constantly shouts when pushing his barra

..Adorned with muffler and cloth cap .."Boiled beef and carrots", he likes to yap.

..Lanhdan he travels, up and down ..Having a knees up with Mother Brown

..Leave him and his barra in streets he can ply ..He should be banned from uk.d-i-y

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Such a callous bastard!!! No concern about Maxie and his plight in the credit crunch. This one would walk over Maxie while he is in the gutter. Appalling!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel