[O/T] Need to choose an envelope that gets attention

Well, yes. It *is* trying tom impress. I would *always* open a hand written letter.

Reply to
Catman

Crappy manila.

Get "Notice of Intended Prosecution" stamped on it reasonably professionally.

That'll get their attention ;-)

Reply to
PeterE

| | I receive hundreds of items of marketing literature a week. I don't | give a toss what kind of envelope it's in. It all goes in the bin.

Why let them fell trees, just for you to throw in the bin Register with

IME After a month or so the flood becomes a trickle :-))

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop
[...]

Petrol and Diesel are all we consume in uk.rec.cars.misc :)

I'd stick with your nice white envelopes and address by hand.

Alistair J Murray

I have a feeling you may be "over thinking" this one... ;-)

Yup, that is what I use, saves wasting time addressing or printing an envelope, given the letter will probably be computer originated in the first place.

I like the self seal ones with a tape that covers the sticky bit, rather than the ones coated with tacky gum on both mating surfaces (as Jerry said, they tend to dry out).

Reply to
John Rumm

Marked 'personal' will sometimes get it to the recipient's office unopened.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Run plain white envelopes through the printer to put "Your C_I_A_L_I_S soft tabs Order has been shipped, INTE-RENET USER. " on each one and leave a couple of Polos inside. That would wind me up enough to ensure I opened it.

Reply to
Questions

Send them in jiffy bags if you want them noticed. "Ooh look someone's sent us some goodies, oh it's just a letter" etc. Actually I do remember someone actually did a research project on envelopes (asking the very sort of questions you're asking) at Aston Business School some time back. I'll see if I can find the reference for you.

DrSteveW

Reply to
Steve Antony Williams

Didn't know about the MPS, but if it's anything like the FPS then yes it does work. I don't mind the junk mail so much as it just goes in the bin, but I do object to unsolicited faxes. It wastes paper, ink/toner, and if like me you work from home it winds you up if the fax goes off at 3am

DrSteveW

Reply to
Steve Antony Williams

What's wrong with a plain envelope?

I'd be more likely to open a plain envelope then one that says "Urgent - from the prize draw manager". Especially if it says it's from "Tom Champagne".

Maybe you need to concentrate on getting the contents right rather than the envelope!

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

"Steve Antony Williams" wrote | Send them in jiffy bags if you want them noticed.

Rub the outside with some marzipan and enclose a small piece of printed circuit board, if you are writing to any 'sensitive' organisations that have security scanning on incoming mail :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Now that suggestion is one of the better things I have read in this thread.

But what happens when they open the envelope and it is nothing to do with an intended prosecution. The letter probably goes in the shredder!

Reply to
David R

Beautifully posted.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

ALL UK ngs are inhabited by consumers.

Why not do that on your envelopes to arouse curiosity?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

My opinion is that it is addressed to the correct individual along with SAE to ensure response and that if you don not here a response in given time you will go to next person up the chain of the command as all previous attempts have been ignored & may also contemplate getting in touch with Watchdog, Sunday Post, etc...

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
SL

Forget the envelopes, It's what you have to say that matters. If your letters bear even the slightest resemblance to your post then you'll bore the recipients to death.

So lick it & stick it! (Unless you go for self-seal of course).

Joe Lee

Reply to
Joe Lee

None.

I simply turn the pile of envelopes face down, slit them open, remove the contents, chuck the envelope and sort the contents into piles: payments in, invoices in, orders and miscellaneous, stuff needing my personal attention and waste paper. When I have opened everything, then I start looking at what has been sent and I have no idea what envelope it may have come in.

When I worked for a nationalised industry, the only envelopes that ever got to the addressee were those marked private and personal, and those were 90% junk mail. Everything else was opened in the post room, sorted and distributed to the person who actually needed to deal with it, which frequently was not the addressee, as almost everybody addresses their post, even routine stuff that needs to be dealt with by a clerk, to the manager, chief executive, etc. I would expect local authorities and NHS Trusts to work in much the same way.

You obviously don't get a lot of business mail.

If you think this is in any way important, I would hate to be on your mailing list.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Why fill your facilities with it? I mark it "Unsolicited junkmail, RTS" and put it back in the post. I understand the RM is obliged to return it to the originator.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I do that as well. It does work - my junk mail is more or less down to zero. The only thing that gets through is the annoying 'blind' postings which don't have an address. I presume the Royal Mail gets a fee to deliver it.

Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Why burden the internal mail people with it twice?

Reply to
Huge