O T Begging charity adverts on TV

The RNIB (or their agents) call me every year for the raffle. I always refuse. I have an RNIB collection box at home which collects all my coppers (and 5/10/20p coins which I generally don't take back out either). They got £59 in July from that, which is probably about the fouth time I've banked all the coins and sent them the money.

I happen to think that is a good fundraising idea and solved my problem of collecting coppers I wasn't prepared to take back out and use again.

Andrew Gabriel

The charity lotteries are a business predating upon charities

they are not set up by the charities

tim

Reply to
tim...

Haven't read the whole thread, but IMHO there are several 000% too many charities in this country: all fiddling *our* taxes!

And I'm afraid that when I see most "bucket collectors" these days -- at the supermarket, in the street, or wherever, I think "bloody hell: more beggars".

This does not mean that I am against charities per se: I have supported some charities all my life, and continue to do so.

J.

Reply to
Another John

That's one of them.

Reply to
charles

And the biggest crooks of the lot: the Charities Aid Foundation.

Reply to
Chris

"So sorry, we just found out your snow leopard actually died 6 weeks ago so we're re-imbursing you for your last 6 weeks' subs." Yeah, like that's going to happen!

Reply to
Chris

I've seen where an individual animal sponsorship has been switched from one animal to another, since the original no longer needed the funds, for a few possible reasons.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

please explain your reasoning. They provide a good banking service.

Reply to
charles

Not only this but "foreign aid" which often seems to be misspent/stolen. Including via the EUSSR.

Reply to
harry

They have a banking licence??? The mind boggles.

My brother-in-law heads-up a steering committee for an organisation that's been compiling a stack of evidence detailing all sorts of "malpractice" going back over way more than a decade at this stage. It's the next BIG charity $candal and you'll no doubt read *all* about it some time next year...

Reply to
Chris

It would be sensible to cap foreign aid to say

0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% of GDP.
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Chris brought next idea :

Can't wait!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The war ended ages ago.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

but the lives of those who fought have not.

Reply to
charles

A lot of them have sadly...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Many severely injured war veterans are still alive and need looking after. That costs money.

Reply to
Bod

You only have to look at large fleet of very expensive vehicles use by Oxfam and the like to realise they have to keep asking for your money to fund these.

Reply to
rick

Next you'll moan about the cost of all the shops they run.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Actually most have.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We have an NHS. Why do they need more than anyone else?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword