NTL remote

My neighbour has lost her remote control for the old NTL analogue service. NTL just want to upgrade her to digital, so would one of those all-in-one remotes work? Ideally I'd like keep it separate from the video/tv remotes as she's confused enough already. TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble" she's confused enough already. TIA

It may not actually, I bought one of the all in one remotes so that I could declutter the coffee table (er indoors believes that it should be used for such things as coffee! wierd eh!?). Unfortunately, it worked for everything except my cable remote (it was a digital one, but I guess the frequency isn't that different. I checked the internet and this was a known fault due to the frequency set by telewest. Have a look on eBay, you may find a replacement at a fraction of the cost. They have a fairly large remote control section. Alternatively, buy one and keep the receipt!

Cheers mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

AFAIK you should be OK with all-in-ones for analogue cable boxes (if they claim to support them). Digital Cable boxes are a pain though as the use iRDA which the vast majority of all-in-ones (including my bloody Philips Pronto) can't cope with.

Reply to
Chris

Thanks. Maybe I'll take the plunge and convert her to the all in one.

Reply to
stuart noble

That's right, there is a fix though here:

but its a bit expensive imo.

regards Tim

Reply to
Tim

Mine gave up though being thrown at the tele too many times. (Well not really) But anyway I just called up NTL and they sent me a new one - free.

Reply to
dave

"stuart noble" she's confused enough already. TIA

We have an All4one remote and it worked with the old analogue NTL box and the new digibox too. It is 5 way and controls everything we have. There is good web support for uncommon models. The only thing it can't do is some of the advanced functions of our Sony camcorder. It also has 4 handy programmable buttons that can hold a series of commonly used commands. On analogue we used it to bring up teletext at the "now and next" page. All4one are common and you cann get them at Argos etc.

Reply to
Suz

Thanks for that. Sounds like the answer, unless of course I can get a free one from NTL as Dave suggests.

Reply to
stuart noble

You can control NTL/Telewest boxes with Pronto and other universal/learning remotes using the Red-Eye translator

Mike Harrison

Find someone who has upgraded to digital. When they take away the old analogue boxes, they usually forget to collect the old remotes. I had about

3 of them at one point.

On the other hand, why not just upgrade to digital? I can't imagine the analogue service will be around much longer.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

At which point they'll probably upgrade her for free. I wonder if she gets BBC4 on analogue.

Reply to
stuart noble

They upgraded me for free years ago. Wasn't even any extra on the monthly payments.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle