Remote sockets

If I had brains I'd be dangerous.

About a year ago I bought a set of Byron remote sockets. 3 sockets, 1 remote. They operate 3 lights downstairs.

Our granddaughter stays with us quite often & has her own room. Yesterday, without giving a thought to downstairs, I bought another set of Home Easy remote sockets (made by Byron) so we could switch her lights & TV off without disturbing her. Also 3 sockets & 1 remote.

Didn't occur to numb brain here that they would interfere with each other did it?

Its weird though. Button 1 on the downstairs remote will switch on 1 socket downstairs and all 3 upstairs. The upstairs remote switches on all 3 sockets upstairs as per the 3 buttons, but has no effect on anything downstairs.

So when we switch on socket 1 downstairs, all 3 upstairs come on as well. You can use the upstairs remote to turn the 3 upstairs sockets off again as per 3 buttons.

I'm confused! How come this only happens one way?

Both remotes have 'Frequency 433.92Mz' on the label.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't know about the oddness you are seeing, but things like this are usually addressable to ensure they don't interfere, look for some little dip switches in the remote and on the sockets and read the manual for a while. You should be able to make them operate independently, or perhaps from one remote only if that's what you want.

Reply to
georgetaylor

Thanks, I did look for dip switches (like you ge on doorbells) but there aren't any.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought a set of three of these

last week from
each socket has a small dial type switch which is numbered in sections ie: group A, 1, 2, 3 or 4 - group B etc, etc up to group D. The remote has a small dipswitch for selecting from groups A - D so there is quite a bit of scope for adding more units. These maybe an updated model of the same type and are much more configurable than the set of 3 AEI security remote sockets that I bought a few years ago. I got the Byron ones because there is also a keyfob remote available which operates any or all of the sockets and means the missus can turn on the outside lights (plugged into the shed) when she parks the car in these dark evenings. There is a helpline number on the packaging so it may be worth giving them a ring for advice, the number is 0845 2301231. Good luck,

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

Dave Never having seen what you are posting about I had a look on the Byron site at

. It looks like you've got an old model. Their current model has a frequency code setting inside the remote's battery cover - 2 dip switches giving 4 code possibilities and their sockets have a cover above the earth pin that conceals 6 dip switches - 2 being the id for the remote and the remaining 4 to set up a link between the socket and a button on the remote.

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

Looks like I've got an old model too - model RS3 is nowhere to be seen on the site and not even a mention in the archives, readily available online from many suppliers so not too well thought out by Byron - be better off phoning or emailing them at snipped-for-privacy@chbyron.com.

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I got a pair from Lidl for the Xmas tree lights - and IIRC it said you could have up to 12 in total in the same area. Although each remote could only control the two. Dunno how it worked out how it wouldn't interfere with the others . You programme each by holding in a button on the device while pressing the remote. Worked extremely well with an excellent range and 13 amp capacity - all for well under a tenner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)