Now *this* is DIY

Intro:

Interview As our title suggests, we at the Special Projects Bureau like a nice project, so we're pleased to share with you today reader Stuart Smith's ambitious 3-axis stabiliser for the GoPro HERO3 - dubiously dubbed the "Stubilizer".

A 3D rendering of the Stubilizer The Stubilizer in 3D rendered glory Stuart's an IT consultant based in Ipswich, Suffolk, but when he's not fiddling for his supper down at the likes of British Airways, he's slaving over a hot 3D printer in his pursuit of his dream to take the stabiliser market by storm.

He and his company RockSolid Technologies will shortly be rattling the tin on Kickstarter, hoping to raise cash to get the Stubilizer into full production.

The development process has been heavy on CAD and 3D printing, so we asked Stuart - who was a novice in both areas when he started the project

- to explain just how the journey to the current working prototype has been. Read on...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I fancy a 3d printer ror my birthday!

Reply to
Capitol

There is an optimum point about which you pivot the camera to stabilise it, it isn't several inches to the rear.

I suppose that with such a wide field of view and distant objects you won't notice the camera moving from side to side as the mount swivels, but maybe you will as you can in the video where the other camera on the boom is visible.

Reply to
dennis

Brilliant, thank you.

Reply to
Huge

On a different 'this is DIY' note:

I like the disclaimer:

Please take extra care if you are inventing things in your shed. The BBC does not recommend trying these stunts at home.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos