notching joists

Does anyone know how much can generally be notched from the bottom corner of a joist when it is sat in a joist hanger, in order to adjust the height for variations in the brick coursing ? Joists are 225 x 75mm. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

K5 factor. Modify the calculated max shear stress by beam depth after notching/beam depth.

Reply to
RubberBiker

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:49:31 -0700 (PDT), a certain chimpanzee, sm_jamieson randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Rafters can be birdsmouthed, and up to one third is a rule of thumb, so I assume joists are the same. I know I've had floor joists & steel beams which have been chamfered to ridiculously small depths and still passed calculations. I'm no engineer, but AFAIK, longish lengths fail in deflection or bending long before they would fail in shear.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Don't assume. Rafters are largely in compression. Joists are pure bending moment.

However having said that joist are way too STRONG in order to meet deflection/loading targets.

So you can probably notch massively,.

I know I've had floor joists & steel

Yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Definitely worth checking. All the out-buildings around here (barn aside) have the rafters cut to about half their depth where they meet the walls, and it doesn't seem to cause any issues - but then maybe that's due to the way they're anchored (and anything toward the outer edges beyond the cut doesn't exactly have to support a lot). As you say, joists probably have quite different loading characteristics, particularly at the ends.

Probably, assuming they're not all like that. My gut feeling* - and that's all it is - is that I wouldn't want to take more than about 20% of the total height though, if I could help it. But then surely more than that suggests a brick structure below which has some major issues of its own? :-)

  • I tend to massively over-engineer stuff - and if it's around long after I'm gone, well that's generally no bad thing...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Think Sydnney harbour bridge, upside down. That's the shape where there stresses are on a joist. The ends are pretty irrelevant. Its not shear that will get you: its actual wood splitting..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wouldn't need to notch anywhere near 20%, so no issues then. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
Simon

Simon The rough rule of thumb is 1/8th the depth. The joist is in tension at this point. if you want to be purist drill a hole at the requisite point and cut to the hole so as not to cause a stress point That having been said I have seen plenty of joists cut deep and they fail or not depending entirely on the span and load Failure mode is splitting along the middle (near the neutral axis) by the top of the cut Chris

Reply to
Why?

OK thanks, I'll drill a hole for the "corner" of the notch. I only need to notch a small amount. Simon.

Reply to
Simon

If rafters are in compression what keeps the walls from spreading out?

Reply to
dennis

Usually the ceiling joists to which the rafters are fixed or collar ties. Except for an old barn I have responsibility for, where there are no ceiling joists and the collar ties are not substantial enough. The walls are spreading out.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

fuf$1g9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Mostly it's down to the fact that the walls are thick enough and heavy enough that the thrust line doesn't go outside the walls. The tension in the joists can help, or you can add flying buttresses, or the walls can fall over after a while.

... but rafters /are/ in compression.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Joists?

Perhpas one of us is using the wrong term..the joists are horiozontal tension members and the rafters are the slopey bits?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

6 mm stainless wire stretched across is incredibly strong.
Reply to
dennis

Probably. I have only had dealings with trussed rafters.. In those all the peripheral members are in tension on one side and compression on the other. The inside bits tend to be in compression AIUI.

Reply to
dennis

Tie beams! (aka ceiling joists often - which is why if there is a joint in the middle over a partition it needs nailing or strapping and why it is important to tie into the wall plate_ chris

Reply to
Why?

Yup. Thats why a truss is a truss. No (few, low) bending stresses anywhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok. ill settle for tie beams!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's been done to our garage... badly :-)

Evidently the walls started spreading at some point, so they just punched holes in either side wall at the top halfway down the length, and ran 3/8" cable across.

It's a really sloppy job, but the cable must be under a hell of a lot of tension (and I don't know how weak the walls would be without it) - so I'm not inclined to try and tidy it up. I just put "rebuild garage" on the to-do list instead as that's a much more interesting DIY project ;)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules