Heated Mirror

Hi,

I would like to stick one of these heaters to the back of a mirror, and screw the mirror to the wall above my hand basin in the bathroom...

bathroom is being re-done, so I would chase a cable, and sink a back box into the wall, right where the cable exit's the mirror, then run a conduit up the wall, so the cable ends up in the loft, this will then be connected to the fan isolator switch above the door outside the bathroom, so it can be isolated - is this OK, or do I need another switch?

I don't think the cable on the heater will be long enough to reach to the loft, so I will solder and heat shrink some more cable on the end (as the joint will end up in the conduit, in the wall, so is not accessible)

After the mirror is installed, there won't be a visible accessory in the cables path, does this matter (does the back box behind the mirror count? or do I need to install a plate near the ceiling, to mark the cable)?

Now, The rules seem to suggest it has to be at least 60cms away from the basin - if the mirror extends down lower, but the actual heater is at least

60cms, is that OK? or does it not count because it is only accessible with a tool? (The mirror will be screwed to the wall)

I would also like to install a shaver point in the vanity unit, under the basin - As this is in the cupboard, does it also need to be 60cms from the basin, or can I put it anywhere under there (I would prefer it to be to the far left, right under the basin, so my shaver can be plugged in when on the top shelf)

Thanks for any feedback!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

I'll leave others to comment on the regulations stuff; however just to say that having fitted one of these myself I'd recommend a separate switch somewhere to be able to isolate it if it's not required...

Obviously there are options as to how to wire it up - you could do it completely independently wired through a pull-cord switch or something; in parallel with the fan (so it heats up whenever the fan is in use); or in parallel with the bathroom lights (similarly). I went for the latter option myself. I have found though that the mirror doesn't get steamed up during the winter when the central heating's on; it only happens in the summer. So personally, I have an override switch mounted just inside the ceiling hatch which lets me turn on and off the mirror each spring and autumn. As it draws 60W (IIRC) it seems worthwhile doing to me.

Really glad I fitted ours, by the way.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I only get the reverse ... only steams up in Winter In summer room ambient is warm enough to keep mirror above condensation temp point.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

summer is high humidity high ambient: Any very cold surface attracts condensation.

Normally however, surfaces are not cold in summer. The exception being things like cold water pipes, which can dn do get condensation.

In winter average humidity in a CH env is very low..but then surfaces are much colder..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher