Not another aircon question!

Hi Guys

I've got a question on a split aircon system that im thinking o installing, in my semi detached upstairs main bedroom. I've been usin a portable unit in there for some years, but its time to decorate, an get rid if that eye (and ear sore)

With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside' unit cant be be mounted in the loft void? Obv i would make sure the uni can drain the excess water away. Two reason I'd like to place i there, is to save having an ugly looking unit on the outside of th house, and as i plan to DIY install, not sure safely carry/mount

50/75Kg unit that high up.

Any ideas?

Regards

Ro

-- Spacerat

Reply to
Spacerat

Given how hot lofts can get in the summer (just when you're using the A/C) wouldn't it struggle to get rid of the heat?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I've no idea of the specifics of aircon units, but couldn't it be arranged to draw air from and vent to outside?

Chris Key

Reply to
Christopher Key

The fan on my split unit as about 50cms across (from memory) so you would need either a very large hole, or a smaller one with a higher flow rate (That would probably be noisy!)

Just by thoughts!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Besides the other points, you probably don't want the vibration it is likely to generate feeding into the house structure.

That's generated by the inside unit (maybe yours then pumps it to the outside unit to trickle down the outside of the condensor).

I don't suppose getting it into a loft is going to be easy either?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do you actually need one? Installing 12" of insulation in the loft and sealing up all holes with silicon (cables, and pipes, etc), will prevent heat from comming down from the loft. In the loft put an extract fan with a grill in the bedroom ceiling. This will take away excess heat where it accumulates, which is at the ceiling. The hot air which stays under the ceiling heats the ceiling up and radiates heat back down. Insulation and a small fan are very effective.

Also have blinds on the windows to prevent any solar gain. No need for expensive to install and run a/c in the UK, if you tackle it properly.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

No doubt at all Dr Evil is deffo IMM.

He is the only one who'd answer like this!.

Aircon.. red flag to a bull.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Except perhaps the summer of 2003 when the ambient air temprature was 30C.

We sat in a paddling pool and drank cold beer. Worked for us!

Guy

-- --------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson @ SMTP - snipped-for-privacy@cuillin.org.uk // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M

4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.4>5.4 4.4>5.4
Reply to
Guy Dawson

The temperature in a well insulated house with proper shading was a lot less than 30C, more like 23C.

Those you have house that are too hot can make them very comfortable by doing some simple cost effective measure

Nice way to cope.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

when will you folks learn about earthpipes.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Thanks Andrew I really hadnt thought about vibration, that could be really horrible side effect...

-- Spacerat

Reply to
Spacerat

My mate had his split AC fitted to his bedroom, basically the outside bit has to be outside in order to get enough air-flow. I think it is located on the side of the house so not in the sun and where it generates least annoyance. Also the outside bit generates condensate (actually pumped from the inside) and this required a small pipe to a gutter to get rid of the water. Was fitted professionally with quick release fittings through the window frame enabling the inside unit to be put away when not needed.

He originally had one of these units that need topping up with water and vent through a large pipe, but they continually need filling with water and you need a window open to vent out of, thus letting warm air in. He did try piping up to loft and out via soffit, so window did not need to be open, but suffered from condensation running back into the air-conditioner and getting the carpet wet.

Reply to
Ian_m

That is stretching it a little for most of them. They only think of machines, machines to heat, machines to cool. Harmonising with nature is alien to most people these days.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil