Non-corroding 'chrome' bathroom stuff?

I need to replace the chrome basket thing that hangs off the bottom of the shower rail, which contains all the assorted crap that SWMBO apparently requires to have within easy reach when showering.* The current one is badly rusted after a few year's use. What do I need to look for in a replacement to ensure that doesn't go the same way? I'm sure price will be a factor, but I can't believe it's a case of just buying a really really expensive one in the hope it will be fine.

Had a similar experience with an unbranded shower rail from Screwfix which quickly rusted away; I replaced it with an ebayed Mira one because I knew they were reliable, and sure enough it has been.

Thanks David

*Tried moving everything except the shower gel to the bathroom window-sill the other day, but got shouted at.
Reply to
Lobster

Can you get a stainless steel one, rather than chrome? May not be as shiny - but it shouldn't rust!

Failing that, you probably need chrome on brass rather than chrome on steel.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Switch to something made from stainless steel. More expensive though.

dan.

Reply to
dent

One would recommend

RCW2

Spouse bought a chrome shower tidy in anticipation of me doing a new bathroom. It was over a year before the bathroom was finished and the shower tidy was out of warranty before it was even used. It went rusty in a month, starting at the joints. It cost over £20 and ended up in the dustbin after two months of use. We've now got a white plastic one which doesn't look bad and at least it doesn't rust!

Reply to
David in Normandy

Expense. In other words, ones with a layer of chromium rather thicker than one atom.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and more copper underneath.

IIRC you first copper plate steel, then chrome. You probably want to first zinc plate, then copper, then chrome.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The chrome is porous. It should be 3 layer plating ISTR, nickel, copper, chrome (Google that, I'm not entirely certain and can't be arsed). Anything else will get rust bubbles and is not fit for use in a damp atmosphere.

SWMBO bought some chrome bathroom stuff a few years back and it is now pretty filthy with rust. If I'd had the sense to keep the receipt, I'd have taken it back and shoved it up the retailer's nostrils. It infuriates me that everyone is getting righteous about energy and resources, but it is still legal to sell crap that isn't fit for purpose. Some of this garbage will have been screwed to tiled walls.

Reply to
Onetap

Something like that. Our bath fittings are around 80 years old and the chrome's holding up well, with only the end of the spout showing damage.

The colouring seems consitent with it being copper plate over steel, then a layer of a yellowish metal - most likely nickel - then chrome.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

My 2 towel rails and a glass shelf in stainless steel (well, some of the shelf) came from Aldi at about £13 each. There were some other items but ICR if there was anything that you want.

The riser rail for the shower is now 32 years old: Redring, st.st. and the curtain rail was from the same set and is very elliptical aluminium tube; both are still uncorroded.

Stainless is by far the best, followed by chromed brass. I hate chromed steel - I used to work in a lab testing plated parts and developed the dislike then.

Reply to
PeterC

Well plastic does not rust and although it falls to bits its a lot cheaper and not as heavy.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Almost - copper, nickel, chrome. Can't remember the thicknesses after 45 years and CBA to dig out Cannings electroplating book wot is 'idden in some indoor shed.

Reply to
PeterC

I am sure we all remember chrome flaking off 50's and 60's car bumpers..yuk!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks, I never knew that. I only knew that friends and family complained about it, then bought more, and complained about it again!

I wouldn't have guessed it was real gold; even a few atoms thick I would have thought would be too expensive. I've learnt something new today, thanks.

Reply to
Fred