Noise from cooling fan

====snip====

All consumer motors suffer from being designed down to a price.

If it lasts two years, it's been *over-engineered*! :-(

Reply to
Johnny B Good

In the 90s I bought a very old fan for a fiver. It still runs. Someone else bought a sleek new one for over £40, it's now in landfill. If you wan t reliable appliances it often makes more sense to get old ones.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or repair / modify / improve the bad bits of newer ones to make them better?

I'm just about to replace the fan blades of a 12" desktop fan where the (plastic) blades have warped, rendering them (and the fan itself) useless with an ally set.

There is nothing wrong with the motor, the body or the guards.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I am pretty sure the hot weather is not over yet.

It will end in August just as I go on holiday or on the day your aircon arrives.

Reply to
ARW

No:-) The Daily Express said that it would be the hottest summer for 100 years.

Therefore I conclude that the summer weather will be shit.

Reply to
ARW

+1

I had to go into the loft to install some noggins in order to provide a sturdy mounting structure to which I installed my bedroom fan. At the high speed setting there is wind noise but at the lower speeds no noticeable motor noise. On still days like now that we are having in Essex the high speed setting combined with open windows is used to move air which cools down the bedroom to the ambient outside temperature whereas the lower speeds are used when sleeping.

Reply to
alan_m

The forecast thinks the hot weather is over.

weather/329260

My air conditioner arrives tomorrow. Oh well. :-)

Reply to
pamela

That's a weather forecast for Manchester with a months worth of predictions:-).

Reply to
ARW

I (and no doubt everyone else in the UK who either can't afford or justify the expense of any form of air conditioning other than a simple fan or two) would like to express to you my (our) gratitude for making such a financial sacrifice in 'breaking this spell' of unseasonably hot weather which we've all been enduring this past week. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Consider yourself lucky you don't have an illness which causes metabolic decompensations and heat stroke from thermal dysregulation such that it can't remove body heat properly. Even

24C can make it incredibly hard to walk a few yards but in the cold I can walk for miles provided I don't let the heat build up.

Your comment hasn't been totally wasted because it prompts me to ask my neurologist to determine that an air con unit is a medical necessity for me in warm weather and authorise it to be covered by NHS Continuing Care.

Meanwhile I hope you fully enjoy any further spells of hot weather! :-)

Reply to
pamela

The particular disorder in this house is extreme pain in higher temperatures. Inside the house, tends to start around 17C and worsen as it rises. Unfortunately, all walking is problematic - footwear itself is an issue. Open footwear whenever possible, but that is very unpleasant in very cold, wet, muddy or many other situations. Barefoot in the sea is the best it gets.

Reply to
polygonum

I'm sorry to hear it. That threshold temperature is relatively low. Is it peripheral neuralgia?

Reply to
pamela

And did it and if so have you tried it yet?

Co-incidentally I opened up the hole through the wall for my mates new AC and am (apparently) supposed to me making a new hole to re-locate the original one (his place gets pretty hot in the afternoon).

Because of that he gave me an old tower fan as it 'clicked' and I was integrated re the cause and how they worked in general.

I stripped it down (easy), gave it a good clean / vacuum out and oiled what I think was cause of the click, the top oil-lite self centering bearing. Put it back together and whilst it was much more efficient, I think the click was still there (possibly bearing wear on the shaft).

We did it round Mums and as she seemed impressed "It looks like new and I can feel it making my legs cold though my trousers from here ... ", we left it for her (as she would be less bothered by the clicking than us).

Mate also has another one of the same tower fans he said I could have that doesn't click and I might try it here to see how well they work, compared with a traditional or our ceiling fan.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No. Erythromelalgia. Which I guess could be considered to have some relationship to PN.

There is a quite astonishing Russian document which describes sufferers walking around in the winter, through the snow, barefoot.

I am very pleased you have got your A/C - is it up and working now?

Reply to
polygonum

I seem to recall you once told me you were taking a lot of supplements and maybe it is for this condition.

I need to better arrange the exhaust pipe of the air con unit as it goes through the window.

Reply to
pamela

I'm still fiddling with the portable air con unit. At the moment it vents out through a 150mm hose stuck hanging out a casement window.

I need to get a narrow oval adapter so I don't have to open the window too much.

I need a fish-tail oval thing (spigot? adapter?). You can see what I mean in these pictures:

window-kit.jpg

Do you or anyone else know where can I get such a thing?

Reply to
pamela

Nah, go through the wall ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Funnily enough, one came with the AC unit my mate bought recently and we used briefly to test the AC by trapping it in the door (really to only hold the pipe and point it outside).

I'll see if he has any plans for it and will let you know (seeing as I opened up a previous 100mm diameter hole through the wall to 150mm to take the new hose). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It isn't me that has erythromelalgia! :-) It is the other half.

Reply to
polygonum

That's more expensive than using

dennis