Noise/distance

Not complaining, however just surprised at how far noise can travel.

5.5 miles away as the crow flies - there is a festival taking place the noise/music from which is clearly audible over the top of our TV in the house at the opposite side of the house from the source.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The shape of the intervening landforms has an effect.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

When the Cape Wrath bombing range is in use, I can often hear it, and I'm dozens of miles away.

Reply to
S Viemeister

when that petrol dump blew up they heard it in holland allegedly.

subsonic bass frequencies carry all round the world..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

clearly

Is that with windows open or closed? Audible inside on the opposite side of the house windows (particulary if double glazed) and interior doors closed I'd be getting onto the enviromental health departmentof the local council to complain.

We can hear the "ump"s from ranges near Shap. IIRC they are about 30 miles away. Conditions have to be right though with a gentle wind from that general direction, a normal wind would generates too much noise locally.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice formulated the question :

Double glazed, windows closed and internal doors open.

Not really too fussed by it, it is only one long weekend per year, but I have to wonder what it must sound like at closer range and the possible hearing damage for those actually there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When I was 13 back in 1971 I went to my first live gig, probably the best band in the world, Led Zeppelin. Since then I've been to many hundreds of gigs and festivals and, of course, I have my hifi system here at home that I crank the volume up on when the neighbours are out, listening to bands such as The Who, Free, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Bad Company, AC/DC, etc., etc., - the list goes on and on, as indeed, does my hearing.

The biggest threat to hearing in the context of loud music IMHO is the modern 'in-ear' ear-bud type of headphones, where the listner has it so loud it can be heard five seats away on a bus, not a good festival or gig.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

I totally agree. My wife is severely deafened by wearing cans. Like me she also attended live gigs at 110+ dBA levels. My hearing is fine, hers is shot. All we have done different is she spent many years v being a creative listening to music off her Macintosh while working, on cans.

People have measured max dbA off earplugs at 120dbA+ which is simply insane.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The first time i saw Led Zep was at UFO roundhouse in 1968  from memory this was only there second gig, and again at the albert hall in 1970, Most definitely the loudest band ever at that time.

Reply to
Mark