Basketball noise

An apartment complex moved in right behind me. They installed a basketball court 6 feet from my fence. This was never in the initial plans nor were we ever notified. After complaining about the horrific noise to the city they did show that the owners did submit plans and permits to build said court. However, it was installed in a completely location then what was approved by the city. We have complained tirelessly over the noise of not only the bouncing but of the players and their creative vocabulary and playing loud music as well. So far after 3 years of this (Covid), all the owners have done is simply submit plans as the court now sits. So, FYI. If you live in Fresno Ca. and want to build something, apparently you don’t need to submit for any permits from the city. If anyone complains just simply submit for your permits as built currently… You’re welcome for the tip… lol! Any advice is appreciated…

Reply to
I can’t hear myself think!!!!😡

Bach and Beethoven played on your back porch. Hardcore country music from the old days might have a positive effect eventually. Some might suggest an opera of some sort.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Welcome to the land of the free, including freedom to ignore common decency and courtesy.

But, did you ever check how the land on all sides of your property are/were zoned at the time you purchased? Are all your boundaries zoned for single family residential structures? Were they when you bought? I've done this for every single family detached home I ever considered buying and never purchased if any of the boundaries were zoned for "multi-family", "mixed use", "light industry" or "commercial" use regardless of how wonderful the deal seemed to be. If you didn't check, sorry to say, caveat emptor.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt

For 10 years, I lived next door to Teen Challenge, a drug treatment program. Founded by David Wilkerson in 1960. Do any of you remember him? He wrote The Cross and the Switchblade. They had another location on my street and I'd sometimes see one or two walking from one to another, wearing button down sport shirts, etc. I'm not sure if that is preppy or not, but they looked nice.

Soon after I moved in I started hearing the bouncing basketball, when I was in my bedroom. But I was on the 5th floor. They didnt' seem to talk to each other much, certainly no yelling. And they only played until maybe 9PM. I don't think they had more than a porch light for light plus I think they or the management didn't want to bother the neighbors.

Wow. When I lived on the same street, I heard and saw nothing but goood stuff about them, getting kids off drugs, but now wikipedia says, with suspicion: "There is little public record of what goes on in Teen Challenge facilities**.[1] Questions have been raised about whether the practices of the organization are abusive and cult-like.[1] In the United States, there are no federal laws or agencies that regulate organizations like Teen Challenge.[1]" -- Sounds like nonsense to me. although maybe things were different at another location or after I left Brooklyn.

**Why should there be?
Reply to
micky

You just need to look at their results to know they are a POSITIVE INFLUENCE on their "clients" Yes, the challenge has a "spiritual component" - bit it is not a "cult" This is one example of Christianity doing what Christianity is meant to do - I don't care WHAT anyone believes about Christianity.

You can be sure that if there was anything untoward going on there would be reports and lots of evidence by now - it's been active since

1960!!!
Reply to
Clare Snyder

You make a lot of good points. None of those guys ever caused any trouble on my street. AFAIK, they got very good results, better than methadone or prison.

They also had a farm in Pennsylvania. Not sure who went to the farm, but maybe they used it because it was so remote and no drugs for sale nearby. That might mean people wen to the farm firzt.

Reply to
micky