Nixie tube clocks

8<

You don't have a 3D display? IIRC the fact that the numbers were at different depths was one of the main problems. I suppose someone will think red led moving message displays will make cool clocks someday.

Reply to
dennis

Just use photographs of a real Nixie tube. Your 3D cues for digits within a Nixie are less about their relative distance (this is imperceptibly small), more about the shadowing from the dark wires in front of it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not yet, but Sky are due to launch 3D (that was typed as =A3D twice... odd that) TV next year...

Perhaps, I see it as part of the charm and the slight shimmer and 3D of from the real ionised gas.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hardly a Dekatron,but I thought I would post this as it reminds me of one.

Graham.

That's definitely a feature - although personally I prefer the shimmering (as Dave mentions), slightly-fuzzy look of them more than the depth-of-field issues. You could do that with a CRT pretty convincingly I suspect, but not with an LCD.

Heh, I still regret throwing an enormous old weighbridge sign many moons ago - it had a staggering amount of red LEDs in it and would have made an interesting display for something (except they were all ancient, power-hungry 5mm types and the power requirements would have been reasonably large)

I've got a few old orange VF displays from a 70s-era petrol pump which I might eventually use for something (possibly a date display in the aforementioned neon-logic Nixie clock - but I'm not sure how many hours of life they've got left in 'em)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Graham. formulated the question :

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

why nixie tube is non planar device? is it 2d or 3 d device?

Reply to
nvi242

Chris Hogg

Each numerically shaped cathode is stacked behind it's predecessor in the evacuated glass envelope.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson