time for a new water heater??

I've got an old celt star b chaffoteaux et maury (apologies this is what i think is written on the faded model name), which has been producing less and less heat, and now wont light at all, (apparently the jets are NOT blocked) just wont ignite (even though the pilot light is working). Before I call someone to replace the unit, any ideas what wrong, and will I now be able to get similar unit. I.e bolt on a new unit and perhaps have the gas and water & pipes adjusted, rather than having to have flu's installed

Are are this type of unit now outlawed ?

Lastly any idea how old this unit is, and approx how much to have it replaced ?

Thanks

Reply to
Exhausted

When was it last serviced? What you say would be consistant with it being scaled up due to lack of servicing, but could be many other causes too.

No.

No idea.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel