NiMH battery Q

I have a GP powerbank 4xAA charger which has worked fine on many different NiMH batteries (charges each cell individually). I've just picked up a set of Duracell 1700's which I put on charge for half a day when I went out, only to come in and find the device still charging, and the batteries quite warm. Is there something funny about Duracells?

Reply to
newshound

Are the new Duracells much higher rating than your old cells?

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

whats the charger current

Reply to
NT

Not measured it but it says 2.3A. Don't know if this is shared between the cells or if it goes through each of them in turn.

The cells are only 1700, the charger copes ok with 2000 and 2400.

Reply to
newshound

Not sure if what I just wrote makes sense. You could envisage a charger working two ways: with the cells in parallel, each being disconnected when it decides they are charged, or in series, with each being disconnected and replaced by a jumper when charged. I suppose the former seems more likely, but the latter makes for a faster charge for a given current source.

Reply to
newshound

If it delivers 2.3A split among 4 cells, 0.57A each, it would charge a flat 1.7Ah cell fully in 1.7/0.57 =3D 3hrs, or a bit more given that cells arent 100% efficient. If it cant charge your new cells, and is designed to charge NiMH rather than NiCd, then the cells are faulty.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks. The cells appear to be charged as indicated by the voltage under load, although I havn't cycled them yet. So it looks as if a charger which is still working fine on other batteries is not, for some reason, sensing the Duracells correctly. So I was wondering if anyone else had experience like this. It is definitely a NiMH charger, and the batteries are labelled Duracell NiMH, and I've had stuff from BABZ before (and they seem to have good feedback)

Reply to
newshound

maybe they've been sold dodgy or fake batch, That happened to many PC and even Apple with capacitors and labtop batteries.

then there's fake alcohol to worry about ;-o

Reply to
whisky-dave

even Apple with capacitors and labtop batteries.

> And then there's fake alcohol to worry about ;-o

Thanks, yes. This is a known problem in markets and pound shops, you might expect a big eBay trader to be smarter. They were only a fiver so no big deal, I will see how they behave. I was just interested because prior to this that charger has taken everything I have thrown at it and I find I get much more reliable life from cameras, radios, satnavs etc when batteries have been "smart charged".

Reply to
newshound

C and even Apple with capacitors and labtop batteries.

really?

Reply to
NT

Apple with capacitors and labtop batteries.

And the fake rubbers...

Grimly Curmudgeon