Next door machinery vibration

Assuming these are modern properties, I wonder if the transmission is via the slab? Even, whether the properties share a common slab.

Reply to
newshound

I once spent some time on a project in a simple form of anechoic chamber, and it was indeed quite strange.

As I was doing tests near the hearing threshold, I set up my kit with a sound level meter, which happened to have a scope output. Out of curiosity, I had a look at things with a flat response selected (instead if the usual "A" weighting), and was surprised how much low frequency stuff there was about.

One odd aspect was that, although external airborne noise was well suppressed, they hadn't managed fully to isolate the chamber from the basement floor it stood on. There was a railway line about 1/4 mile away, and although I never ever heard a passing train outside the chamber, inside they were clearly audible.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I wonder if just 'by chance' my little Myford ML10 seems to be fairly quiet / vibration free (even when I had it in an indoor 'spare room') because it sits on a wooden cabinet (some sort of ex sideboard / cupboards / draws thing)?

I mean, the actual lathe is generally quiet in use but you can sense there would be some LF bearing / drive / belt 'rumble' that I imagine could carry some way if not isolated?

The pump on my Bambi compressor is already rubber isolated and is about as quiet as a compressor could get (to the joy of my tinnitus and the neighbours). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I wouldn't have thought so as before our side extension would have been build there would have been 2-3 metres from his garage to our house. But that's now been filled so good luck on getting access through the 2-4" gap.

Anth>Is the slab the garage is built on joined to the main concrete of the

Reply to
AnthonyL

I was looking at vibration dampers under the feet of his equipment not his house.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Worth a look, thanks.

Reply to
AnthonyL

it's an unavoidable problem with microphones. Normal movements cause very large amplitude infrasonics, ever accompanied by harmonics.

it's hard to achieve complete isolation. Electronic suspension technology can do it, but afaik it's impractical passively. One way or another the weight has to be carried, and that means a connection with some stiffness & thus coupling.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

people don't usually get noisy neighbours to co-operate. How putting things under his house comes into it I don't know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wouldn't be surprised if wood had similar properties to the plastic material I provided a link to.

Reply to
Nightjar

That's what I was wondering too. ;-)

I wonder if people also hear their neighbours tumble dryers or washing machines (though vibration I mean)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Correct, the houses were built with attached garages. We're talking the domestic garage here not a mechanic's garage.

Amazingly there is building approval. However the woodworking enthusiast wouldn't have been here then.

Reply to
AnthonyL

I don't even hear **our** washing machine go, that's in our mirror extension and the washing machine is like a bucking bronco with something knocking badly on the spin cycle.

The washing machine is on a concrete floor.

Reply to
AnthonyL
[15 lines snipped]

Neighbours? What are these "neighbours" of which you speak?

Reply to
Huge

No, but with only a 3 inch separating gap, the foundations must be in contact, so some vibrations are coming that way, the rest via the air gap.

Reply to
Andrew