Timber door/window manufacturers - any recommendations?

Our builder is suggesting he makes all the doors/windows himself for £££ or buy them in for only ££. Can anyone suggest a decent commercial manufacturer? It will include a pair of casement garage doors about 4ft wide each, and some windows as well as ordinary stuff.

Also what timber would you suggest? Apparently all the softwood these days is crap.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I'd go as far as saying all timber is crap if the stuff my back fence gate post is made of is anything to go by. Warping? Well that is one name for it.The person who put it up is not normally known for expletives but... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Accoya.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1
Reply to
Bob Minchin

We had some John Carr (now part of Jeld-Wen) in our last place and they seemed pretty good.

Some softwood is better than other, but it would unfair to call it all crap. If you want spruce or pine and you don't mind paying top money you can get "straight and clear", which is very good.

You can also get other softwoods like Western Read Cedar, which is fully durable (high tannin content). You can even leave it unfinished and it will weather to a silver finish.

Alternatively you could go for a hardwood. Again something like English Oak is durable (and probably cheaper than Cedar at the moment)

Reply to
John Rumm