Newsgroup reader numbers

Netscan is no longer available, but it doesn't seem that it wouldn have been of much use anyway.

I thought it would be useful enquiring, tho' I wasn't holding my breath. Thanks for all the replies anyway.

Reply to
Steve B

Yes you're probably right, I was being hopeful. Too many overheads to make it worthwhile.

I asked it nicely :)

surfeit of Christmas pud?

Reply to
Steve B

I am wondering what the readership of newsgroups is. Obviously, it is at least the same as the number of posters and a group like d-i-y would probably attract a fair number of lurkers. Can anybody here point to a site that actually monitors how many hits that any particular newsgroup receives over a set period of time? Probably,'not a lot' for most.

thanx

Reply to
Steve B

A couple of things (& I am happy to be corrected)

There is no concept of 'hits' as per a webpage.

The server will know how many times a given newgroup article has been down loaded but it may not know if that was an end-user or another NNTP server that asked for it - or it may do.

Your posting client does not know how to write a sig-separator it is _two_ dashes and a space not three dashes and no space!

This is not an email so tell avast to shut up!

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Newsgroups don't receive "hits".

Richard Kettlewell ( snipped-for-privacy@greenend.org.uk?) monitors traffic in the Big8 and uk.* groups and published a traffic graph on the web somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it. Perhaps someone with better Google-fu than me can try?

Reply to
Huge

Sorry, but you can't do this. News is distributed - there isn't any central site, and most news servers won't even collect the data you are asking for.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I do recall a good few years ago someone on a newsgroup that I was following putting up statistics on the frequency of postings by individual subscribers to that group. I have a bookmark titled Usenet Data, which might have been from that time, with a Tinyurl link

but what it links to now appears to be defunct, as I get the message 'netscan.research.microsoft.com is unavailable or may not exist.'

However, putting

into the address bar of my browser comes up with this
Whether there's anything there of use to you, you'll have to find out for yourself, but I get the impression that netscan no longer exists. It may not have done what you want anyway.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

CORRECTION: putting

into the Google search box comes up with this

Chris Hogg

I think that this has stopped now, it was probably someones hobby, but this sort of thing used to regularly appear for the particular group only.

$20posting/uk.media.radio.archers/VLohZMdWflk/oM9hDxdV0zcJ

Reply to
CB

That only tells you the posters, not the lurkers who just read or even what the posters read either.

Reply to
290jkl

I think that would be impossible to do. Obviously Googles interface will have stats, but I do hope most serious users use at least an offline client, instead of the dogs dinner Google made of it. Since the number of servers is dwindling, which is merely because there is no money in it, then maybe the google interface might be at least a guide, I'd imagine though that the main demographic of users tends to be older than much of the internet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Away from the subject matter, I wonder If you have any idea why malwarebytes keeps giving me a popup saying malware detected when all I am doing is downloading and reading newsgroup messages?

Reply to
F Murtz

Richard says:

and click around a bit for recent posting numbers in each of the hierarchies mentioned

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Are you thinking of

?

Chris Bartram

Er...possibly, or something similar. It was a few years ago now, and certainly wasn't uk.rec.motorcycles.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks for this info, interesting to see how different sites are performing. It does seem that groups need a 'critical mass' to function effectively.

Reply to
Steve B

I think the bugalugs at Cheltenham might have the capability to do something along those lines, but would use an alternative approach.

Can't be doing with google newsgroups, I use eternal-september.

I've used newsgroups since the early '90's, but have never had the desire to take up facebook, twitter and such. I'm afraid the novelty of e-mail soon wore off with the realisation that fitting it into the daily work schedule meant arriving at work an hour earlier than contracted to do so. The only advantage was that the (road) traffic was much lighter.

Reply to
Steve B

Its probably impossible to say... not only down to the nature of usenet and the way its distributed, but also to the fact that there are multiple web sites that mirror its content. So readers can read the same stuff from multiple disconnected places.

The old google groups interface used to give nice summaries of the number of posts to a newsgroup. Last time it worked uk.d-i-y was getting about 7,000 new posts a month. Its peak a few years back was getting close to 14,000.

The new groups can give some information:

(but the All Time active posters list is nonsense - since many of the long term users had already racked up 30K+ posts)

Reply to
John Rumm

in the UK hierarchy it seems we are the most trafficked group, followed by railway and politics - not sure what that says about us!

Reply to
John Rumm

Generally.... male, old enough to have gone on line by 2000, practical minded, possibly owning a shed and keen that others should see the world as we do:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb