Newbie plastering question....!

Hi there
I've recently had a sparky channel out part of the bedroom wall to lay a new light switch. I've ended up with a channel running from the ceiling down to the switch - about 1.5m long by 10cm wide by about 4cm deep (with a shielded cable in it)
Near the top of the channel some of the old plaster was loose so I've cleaned it out - but I have a larger patch near the ceiling - about 30cm wide - but not very deep.
Question is, how do I fix it (without taking the easy option and calling my local plasterer!). Are there any web sites that can direct me (I can't find any) - or have any of you good people got some easy step by step instructions?
Thanks in advance
Simon
Simon Hawthorne wrote:

Polyfilla,if you are not familiar with plastering.
Slop it on a wide trowl and just sweep it up or down the channel.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Simon Hawthorne wrote:

One coat plaster, small bag'll do it. mix it up with a kitchen whisk in an old washing up bowl, put it on with a float, let it go off a while then "polish" it with a wet float for a nice finish :-) one coat will fill 20- 25mm without slumping.
Staffbull wrote:

I agree.
It's not worth buying two different types of plaster for (backing and finishing)...it depends what you are doing with it once it's plastered, if it's to be painted, then you do need a decent finish, if it's to be papered over then you should /try/ to get a good finish, although it's not imperative that every little mark is out.
Phil L wrote:

Yep, I've foud one coat is OK if its polished up well, maybee a little light sanding with very fine paper around the edges to "feather" the join, even paited it looks fine then.
Simon Hawthorne wrote:

One of the new 'smart fillers' will do it. http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_no_sanding_polyfilla.html or http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 36147&ts(450&id996
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I had some B&Q stuff recomended by a plasterer the other day. ready mixed Gyproc jointing cement. Costs 12 for 25 litre bucket which is way more than enough. Been using it as filler on walls and ceiling in one of our rooms and seems to be fine once painted. No idea of the disadvantages or advantages of it over normal plaster though

It's a very expensive way to go.

Patching - as you're doing - isn't as difficult as proper plastering.
--
*Born free - taxed to death *

Simon Hawthorne wrote:

If you put a light close to the wall so that it shines across the area that you are plastering, you can see any irregularities and fix them while the plaster is still wet. Otherwise you see the irregularities after you've painted it, which is too late. I think you'll find it easier to put plaster on with a tool that nobody seems to have mentioned yet that I can't remember the name of, but it's like a knife with the end of the blade about 4 or 6 inches wide i.e. wider than the gap you are filling.
___ |o| | | | | | | | | | | / \ / \ / \ _______________
Matty F wrote:

Called a filling knife I think. Same as a scraper but with a flexible blade. I find it easiest/cheapest to use bonding plaster and filler. The first sets pretty quickly and the filler gives you the fine finish. All filling is a 2 day job really. Normally you have enough in one room that waiting overnight isn't a problem. You can buy "light" fillers, which are essentially packed out with expensive microspheres, but you don't need them if you plan the job so that the bulk filling is done in the evening.

One coat plaster you'll get from a shed - but look in the builder's section rather than decorating. It has full instructions on the bag. Follow those and you'll get reasonable results. But you'll have to buy a float if you don't already have one.
--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

A plastering trowel, not a float.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Leave him alone,he's a novice. ;-)
--

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *
Blue plastic sheeting. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite