New Sashes in existing box frames

If I'm replacing the old rotten sashes (Well, The bottom rail is rotted) with new sashes in an existing window (> 100year old), what do I have to comply with as far as those silly building regs about new windows go?

Can I get away with this is a repair as opposed to a replacement?

TIA

Hamish.

Reply to
Hamie

Hi I did this exact same thing recently and my opinion was that as they were a repair/overhaul and not replacement or new. In my opinon t fensa registration for fitting windows is just more bureaucracy from the Labour Government. If it really worries you try

thereabouts. If its any conciliation my window repairs have been visible to the BCO for 3 weeks and not a word has been said.

Reply to
nthng2snet

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The bottom rails and the joints always go. Remarkably easy to repair with a tub of car body filler and a couple of big dowels. Did a couple of mine 15 years ago and they're still working fine.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yeah I did some of mine too that way. They look great. You'd never know that they'd been in a bad way (I rebated some metal brackets in place too).

But in this case, there's almost no bottom rail left... When you pull down on it, the glass is in danger of falling out... Nothing to put a dowel into :)

Hamie

Yeah I did some of mine too that way. They look great. You'd never know that they'd been in a bad way (I rebated some metal brackets in place too).

But in this case, there's almost no bottom rail left... When you pull down on it, the glass is in danger of falling out... Nothing to put a dowel into :)

Hamie

Just buy a new bit of bottom rail?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The bottom of the vertical pieces isn't too good either... Or a few other patches... Plus I'd need more tools etc... If I had the room, I would doit, no questions asked... But in this case, I think I'll just replace the sashes. besides, if I put double glazing in that room it might be a bit warner (A cold upstairs room at the back of the house, it has 3 outside walls... Lots of cold comes in the window, so it will hopefully be better with double glazing... Of course it will then be the only room with double glazing apart from the loft :)

Hamie