New light fitting won't switch off

nearly there!

both reds from the red/black and one red from the twin redall into ONE connector. NOW FORGET THIS CONNECTOR. OTHER RED FROM TWIN RED ONTO THE BROWN TO THE FITTING AND THE 2 BLACKS TO THE BLUE OF THE FITTING. Job done?

Reply to
Clive Dive

On 24 Dec 2005 06:36:13 -0800,it is alleged that "mikeyw" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Pretty close, no it doesn't matter *how* they go in (provided it's safe, but what is important is that one of the strands and ONE only be from the red/red cable)

Reply to
Chip

Thanks guys - most of you did suggest the correct answer I probbly struggled to follow what you were getting at.

The thing that threw me was requiring a separate connector for the three reds - once I got my head around this it all fell into place.

You're right not the sort of thing to mess around with unless you are knowledgeable in electrics but i'd have had to pay an electrician probably =A340 just to put the fitting up.

Big thank for all your help everything working fine now.

Mike

Reply to
mikeyw

See diagrams here

Gel

I expect it's actually spurred off a ring final circuit :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You probably replaced a standard ceiling rose which actually has *4* connectors (L-N-switch-E) with a decorative fitting which only has L-N-E.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > | On a ring? never seen that in 30+years! There again, every day is= a | > | school day. | > Sh! I have a light, in the loft, run from a fused spur box off the | > ring main. |=20 | I expect it's actually spurred off a ring final circuit :-)

No its a spur box and a 13 amp socket off the ring main :-)

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Register your mobile phone=20 IMEI *free* on

Keep the username and password. =20 If it gets stolen report it your provider to get it blocked. To hopefully get it back report on
or 08701 123 123.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'd love to see the let-through current calcs for that :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain