New, free central heating, was re: boiler sizing

It is common not to have a TRV on the radiator in the room with the room thermostat.

Reply to
alan_m

Which is true of anywhere you fit it. Fitting it in a living room where you would normally sit watching TV etc. rather than doing anything physical is the best compromise.

Reply to
alan_m

Also variable speed pumps

Reply to
alan_m

That is why I mount mine in a hallway. It's generally a thoroughfare.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's traditionally where they were, in my experience.

I went the whole way and we have individual timer/stats in every room - each with it's own motorised valve - only affordable as a) I did it all, b) Maplin were selling timer/stats for £14 each and the local B&Q were selling off their stock of motorised valves at half price for some reason.

Reply to
Steve Walker

How have you arranged the boiler call for heat?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The setup is that each timer/stat operates its own valve and the limit switches on the valves are all paralleled to call for heat.

The actual setup is a box in the airing cupboard with transformer and relays, so the timer/stat contacts only see a fully isolated 12V, while the valves are operated by and feed back 240V for the boiler and pump. There is a second box under the floor downstairs for the downstairs radiators. The two boxes are connected with triple and earth cable, for L, N, E and switched live coming back.

The reason for using an isolated 12V was that I could retrofit the thermostats using unobtrusive alarm cable running up the edges of door frames, only burying cables as each room becomes due to redecoration. It also meant that I could have a timer/stat in the bathroom, rather than having an uncontrolled loop in there.

I did worry about the effect of moisture on the timer/stat in the bathroom, but it has been fine for 18 years so far.

The downstairs box also has a triple and earth to the conservatory, where a timer/stat operates a valve and second pump, for the underfloor heating there, with its own blending valve to provide the right water temperature in the loop.

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's a Greenstar 2000.

- Mike