New electrical supply to oven

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:08:24 +0100 someone who may be F wrote this:-

And that is a good reason for having them.

The manufacturers like to give this impression, in order to sell something that has a high initial cost.

Reply to
David Hansen

There is a big safety advantage of MCBs over rewireable fuses, and that is that they can't be rewireed with the wrong guage wire. Obviously you are clueful enough to never try this, so it is less of an issue, but alas many folks are not.

They are not going to make the situation any worse, and they may improve safety in other ways (no need to grope about in the dark looking for fusewire etc!)

You will get a bigger electrocution risk reduction with an RCD protecting the socket circuits... although if you are already using a plug in RCD when taking power outside you have one of the main risk areas covered.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd do it as a forerunner to re-wiring which will should be done anyway with such an installation. Having a new CU with plenty of ways makes re-wiring on a part by part basis much easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This reminded me to have a look. Shepway.gov.uk (my council) appear to suggest three options now:

Get someone who can self certify

2) Submit a building regs application and get someone who is certified to do the work followed by someone who is a "registered competent person" to come and do the testing 3) Submit an app for the part P stuff only and pay £127.08 (and I presume they will then inspect as they want)
got any experience of option 2? The website suggests that "Currently it may be difficult to get a registered competent person to carry out a check of such installations."

It's pretty difficult to get an electrician to turn up around here so I can see that would be a problem (and probably not save anything anyway as you still need the building regs app anyway)

Ho hum

Darren

Reply to
dmc

why? Fixing a borrowed neutral on a 70s or 80s install is surely far easier than a total rewire. If you felt the need to.

As for immersionas and ovens on rings, there are plenty of installs where such an arrangement works ok, ie when the immersion ring does not supply the kitchen.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It's not permitted under Part P -- looks like Shepway council doesn't understand Part P (many don't). "someone who is certified to do the work" is completely meaningless too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If there are borrowed neutrals around it's likely to be the tip of a bodged iceberg?

Fine if *you're* happy with that. But that doesn't make it good practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)