new cable down existing partition walls

I've got to move my sockets in my (BLOODY) kitchen (sorry) about 3' to the left.

It looks like I'll have to pull up the wiring in the ceiling above (that's where it runs from) and then run it down 3' to the left. Question is - how do you push it back down again or do you have to cut a small hole in the plasterboard and pull down.

I have a joist detector and so can find the wooden posts relatively easily.

Many thnx

Reply to
MattP

Cut out hole for socket. Drop plumb line from above, retrieve plumb line and pull through the string which should be securely attached to the cable at the other end. The top of the wall will normally be a horizontal header of wood, which can be drilled with a hole saw.

Stud walls normally have horizontal noggins half way (or a third and two thirds) up. These will require you to remove a section of plasterboard and drill holes, (and subsequent making good).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Your main difficulty will be the noggins - the horizontal bits of wood which go between the frame uprights. There are probably 2 in each section at roughtly one third and two thirds of the room height. You will have to find these with your stud detectors. It's best to cut out a small piece of plasterboard around each noggin - sufficient to get a drill bit in to drill through the noggin at an angle. [You can put the patch back on with Gripfill, and repair round the edge with Pollyfilla or similar].

You'll need to drill a cable hole through the top horizontal frame member (at ceiling level), and drop a length of cord down with a metal object (nut or somesuch) on the end, which you can recover with a magnet through the cutout by the first noggin. Use this cord to pull the cable through. Then feed the cable through the hole drilled in the noggin, and repeat the procedure to get to the socket hole (or to the next noggin if you need to go through more than one).

HTH.

Reply to
Set Square

MattP wrote on Tuesday (03/02/2004) :

Might it be worth leaving the socket in the wrong place and adding an extra socket where you intended it, as a spur?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

First of all many thnx for all your suggestions, it's pretty clear now.

I've got to move the old socket as we're switching from a 60cm cooker to a

90 cm.

But thanks again.

Reply to
MattP

Or use a spade bit to drill a vertical series of holes directly into the nogging, joining them up to make a channel deep enough for the cable (then patch up).

Reply to
John Stumbles