never try...

.................and fit a double double socket with USB sockets into a standard paten box if you have the ring main in and out and a spur to the cooker......tried a £25 MK one and then a chinky £10 one and neither fit due to the size of the USB gubbins attached .....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

5j
Reply to
Steve

I wouldn't fit one anyway. Sooner or later the 5V section is going to blow and it's not feasible to tell in what failure mode that will occur. Bad idea IMV.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

ha ha could have done with that!.........I just used a shallow surface mount box and cut the back out of it with the dremel .........going to go and get some of these as I feel what I did was a bit of a bodge .....thanks Steve

Reply to
J1MBO ...

Can't you fit a deeper box?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

you mean and still have it flush?.....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

bugger....I knew such a thing must exist but B&Q don't do it no surprise there then .....

" Great product for when an existing back box isn't deep enough, for example when changing an ordinary 2 gang socket for one with USB outlets which is slightly deeper.

Ok, maybe not a life saver, but these have rescued me from an hour of wall-bashing on more than one occasion. Sometimes, you just don't have enough room in an existing metal backbox for wires/dimmer/USB sockets. When that happens, this will save you time, money and stress! "

Reply to
J1MBO ...

What is a 'standard paten box'?

Some metal plate sockets don't fit a 25mm deep box that a chunky plastic one would.

The instructions provided should say the depth of the box needed. Did you read them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With some 30 amps at 240v available I'd guess any fault on the 5v side would soon clear. ;-)

They are very convenient. Far neater than four sockets with wall warts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I only ever fit deep boxes. And for light switches too. Learned many years ago that fitting shallow ones means they will be wrong sooner or later.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think you are correct...bad Idea....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

no.......

Reply to
J1MBO ...

just back from screwfix with one...don't think it would have helped much......stick with my bodge which required extra long screws which I had.......but thanks again anyway....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

Why are you spurring a cooker off a final ring circuit???

Reply to
Bob Eager

agreed...shallow ones are total pain with three flat twin and earths anyway ......

Reply to
J1MBO ...

sorry just assumed that was what the extra one was...haven't checked.......house was built 1990...buy a cowboy ... based on all the other things I have found wrong in the last 20 years...tee hee

Reply to
J1MBO ...

sorry I wasn't thinking that can't be the cooker .....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

MK make two spacers that will add 20mm of depth K2133 WHI and K2134 WHI. They are very useful if you need to surface mount cable in mini trunking from an existing socket.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

probably the cooker canopy extract thing .......that will be it....sorry

Reply to
J1MBO ...

Probably. But do you really want to take a chance on that? You might also end up with 240V coming out of the usb socket. Plus when it goes *phut* (which I guarantee it will at some point) you have all that faulty 5V circuitry embedded in your wall. At least with a wall wart you can easily just bin it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom