never try...

.................and fit a double double socket with USB sockets into a standard paten box if you have the ring main in and out and a spur to the cooker......tried a £25 MK one and then a chinky £10 one and neither fit due to the size of the USB gubbins attached .....
On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 13:43:53 +0000

0 one

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-2-gang-spacer-white/210 5j

ha ha could have done with that!.........I just used a shallow surface mount box and cut the back out of it with the dremel .........going to go and get some of these as I feel what I did was a bit of a bodge .....thanks Steve

bugger....I knew such a thing must exist but B&Q don't do it no surprise there then .....
" Great product for when an existing back box isn't deep enough, for example when changing an ordinary 2 gang socket for one with USB outlets which is slightly deeper.
Ok, maybe not a life saver, but these have rescued me from an hour of wall-bashing on more than one occasion. Sometimes, you just don't have enough room in an existing metal backbox for wires/dimmer/USB sockets. When that happens, this will save you time, money and stress! "
just back from screwfix with one...don't think it would have helped much......stick with my bodge which required extra long screws which I had.......but thanks again anyway....
On 14/01/2018 15:04, J1MBO ... wrote:

Do you really want some chinese electronics permanently on and using power 24/7 ?.
Better to have a switched fusible spur on the ring supplying your double socket.
If you have a cooker spurred off a double socket, you may have deviated from 'rules' anyway.
I was going to say they sell spacers for this very thing. Some actually have a bit of ventilation as the usb has obviously got a psu inside it on all the time.
Brian
--
----- -
On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 13:43:53 +0000, J1MBO ... wrote:

I wouldn't fit one anyway. Sooner or later the 5V section is going to blow and it's not feasible to tell in what failure mode that will occur. Bad idea IMV.

With some 30 amps at 240v available I'd guess any fault on the 5v side would soon clear. ;-)
They are very convenient. Far neater than four sockets with wall warts.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 14:45:59 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Probably. But do you really want to take a chance on that? You might also end up with 240V coming out of the usb socket. Plus when it goes *phut* (which I guarantee it will at some point) you have all that faulty 5V circuitry embedded in your wall. At least with a wall wart you can easily just bin it.
On 1/14/2018 3:27 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:

+1...but tell the wife that......

You can bin the socket and fit a new one too.
--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

On Sunday, 14 January 2018 23:47:56 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

With so many idiotic discussions taking place there must be a real shortage of diying
On 14/01/2018 15:27, Cursitor Doom wrote:

And a USB socket is about £9 and the Scolmore ones fit a 25mm backbox.
I have fitted thousands of them without a problem.
--
Adam

On Sun, 14 Jan 2018 17:07:59 +0000, ARW wrote:

So far.
On 14/01/2018 17:31, Cursitor Doom wrote:

What problem could I have?
--

Adam

ARW wrote:

Good evening Mr Wadsworth. Jimbo is a troll who usually lives in uk.radio.amateur. He seems to have got bored in there, so he now infests this group with his shit.

his

Tell me, do you class anyone except yourself as not a troll?
-- “Losing one glove is certainly painful, but nothing compared to the pain of losing one, throwing away the other, and finding the first one again.” -- Piet Hein, Danish Mathematician.

He also knows quite a lot about buildings. And building control. I don't think he is a troll, so much has having a somewhat irritating sense of humour.
--

Roger Hayter

yes Glasgow airport since 1974, two shopping malls and everything down to a humble garage......tee hee
I just don't take things that are not serious seriously ......and I like people to underestimate me..........