Neighbour's ch system

He can't, with his very poor eyesight. I did it before I posted to the group :-)

Thanks for everything,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Better quality care.

Except that it isn't. The actual costs are much higher than that because of the contribution via taxation. Of course with the huge bureaucracy between collection and point of delivery, much of it is wasted, but the true cost is not £45 a year.

Possibly, possibly not. I noticed a substantial difference in terms of the time and trouble taken in examination and treatment.

As they should.

If that were the case, one would not have seen the mass exodus from the health service. Some dentists will treat the kids at the expense of the NHS if the parents see them privately, but that's about it.

There's an idea.

I would quite like some light-cured filling material on occasions for doing certain jobs.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Because they (I) can't afford private?

Given the choice between NHS treatment and no treatment, I (reluctantly) go NHS.

It still costs enough though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

From what I understand, the major cost is time, and that is the area where time taken and attention to detail becomes an issue.

I don't have an issue with safety nets, but it would be far more efficient if people were able to pay for medical services directly rather than through a state run megalith.

So perhaps dentists can make a living where you are...

Reply to
Andy Hall

That doesn't make sense.

Why does wanting to make a good living equate with not having integrity?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I repeat, it's thesamewith gasfitters.

I could quote you ad nauseam but can't be bothered - I'm not being paid to do that :-)

Nor am I a jobsworth ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh good.... there's hope yet ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

This was my point. If the middleman were cut out and you could pay directly rather than via taxation, it would be far more efficient and affordable.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

One of many good reasons to leave the south!

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah, right. You assuredly didn't make them big enough.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why would anyone want to go to a private dentist. My NHS costs are about £45 a year for the last 10 years that I've kept receipts. My dentist (some time ago) went private and offered me a denplan for £17.50 a month. I somehow don't think my teeth are any worse now than they would have been if I'd paid £210 a year plus treatment costs.

Really? Maybe they have a very high standard of living.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The petty snobbery of Little Middle England raise its head. Pathetic.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Agreed... the only possibility I can think of (other than the most likely one of the salesdriod being a complete wazzock), is that it is an old single pipe system and henc would need extensive re-plumbing to be useable.

Might possibly need a part L compliant cylinder (or better) as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Karl Friedrich Rapp and James Dyson

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Andy Hall

My previous dentist made the change from doing NHS & Private work to private only since he did not feel he could give enough time to patients to do a proper job. For example, he said the break even point for a NHS filling was about 10 mins - perhaps 15 tops. That basically meant insufficient time to put in proper insulation layers under it, and the patient having to put up with the resulting temperature sensitivity that results in many cases.

He also said that the level of paperwork and red tape required to treat NHS patients was getting beyond a joke. He retired about five years after that. The whole practice has now moved to private only.

I expect that does make a big difference to the cost of running a dental practice in the first place.

Reply to
John Rumm

How much does NHS cost for an exam scale & polish these days?

Reply to
John Rumm

Exactly. To do one properly, including all of this, different materials at each stage, correct preparation and initial drying etc. takes on average around 45 minutes.

Also true. It was one of the first areas of NHS bureucracy to be outsourced to India for data entry.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Surfers have been using it for years for on-the-beach repairs:

Reply to
Grunff

The message from Matt contains these words:

Not strictly true. I invented the cyclone vacuum cleaner around 1970 when I was 8. I'd read about cyclones in my brother's New Scientist and thought it'd be better than bags.

I just didn't have the self-application James Dyson had.

Reply to
Guy King