need to replace roof tile.... easy ??

Have now got replacement tile, redland 49 I think it's called.(popular tile)The broken tile is on about the 4th row up from the guttering.(bungalow) Have not had any dealings with roofs before. Will this be easy to do..... shouldn't think its as easy as I would like it to be... you know, just bash the old one out and slide up the other one.

Advice appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
MIstatee

It's easy enough - as long as you can get in a stable position where you can reach. Should take all of 5 minutes!

The tiles hook over wooden battens - and overlap each other. Each tile mates with the ones on its right and left with a sort of halving joint, with about

1/2" of overlap. There will be 2 tiles in the row immediately above the broken tile which overlap it. Slide them up the roof out of the way. You will then be able to lift the broken one out and wangle the new one into position - making sure that it mates with its lateral neighbours. Finally, slide the 2 tiles down over the new one. Job done!

It pays to wear stout work-gloves when handling and manoeuvring concrete tiles.

Reply to
Set Square

I find you have to lift slightly the tiles around the one to be replaced or you can't get it out. Wedge 'em up with bits of wood.

Reply to
BillV

You mean tiles just sit on there loose?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In general, yes. Lugs hook them on over the battens. The OP shouldn't need to "bash" anything. Stau on well, don't they!

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Most of the time, yes! First row or two will normally be nailed, but after that they're just hung from the nibs. Talking about clay tiles here, not slate obviously.

When I was taking down a chimney on my house, I had to fill in the hole that it left in the roof, so I went and bought myself some reclaimed tiles to match in. While I was there, I decided to buy the whole batch of tiles they had - which left me with around 150 spare to replace any damaged tiles on the roof (I should add the roof looked in good condition).

Well, a couple of hours later and we'd used all 150 tiles and only covered half the house! It's amazing (to my simple mind anyway) how many tiles you can go through up there.

Back to the OP, we just used two very long thin wooden wedges to prop up the adjacent tiles, then the tile simply lifts out. If it's nailed, you may still be able to give it a sharp tug and snap the nails, or you might have to break it out (still easy though).

Alex

Reply to
Alex