I need a little help with finishing (tile) a rough shower stall

I will be finishing a rough shower stall with tile this week. I have tiled floors before, but never a shower. I'll look around the various DIY sites, but thought some experts here might have good advice. One point I'm not clear on is the merge between the backer board and the basin lip. Do I overlap with backer board or just tile? Won't the bottom of the backer board bow out if I use it to overlap? Another question is do I tile all the way out to the edges and hang the door on the tile, or hang the door first and tile up to it? This is a small shower stall ~32", but the left wall is 35" as it is in a corner. I posted pics here:

Any tips or pointers to good example sites appreciated.

Thanks

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Visit the John Bridge tile forums and start your research there. If you want to save yourself a lot of headache - showers are the most complicated tiling job - get your hands on Setting Tile by Michael Byrne put out by the Taunton Press. Your local library will have a copy or can get one for you.

RicodJour

Overlap the tile, if you go all the way down with the backer it will act as a wick and suck water into it. Use extra thinset at the gap. Also to make your life easier cut the backerboard with a grinder with a diamond blade, use a dusk mask. Cutting with a box cutter will take forever and you could slice off a finger. Also its a good idea to use thin grout lines in a shower, the larger the lines the more area for moisture to get under the grout. When choosing grout color get one that matches grout you can get in a caulking tube. You dont grout where the wall intersect and where the tile meets the base, use caulk. You hang the tile all the way to the edge and mount shower door on that tile. You might want to use bull nose at the edge, if so take that into consideration when doing your layout.

If you want to see a shower I just finished go to the section "before and after" section of my website, hey if you have a chance look around and let me know what you think.

Good Luck

Reply to
evodawg