Need source of metal fence chain

I am trying to find a source of metal fence chain to create a low fence about 600mm high between brick pillars.

The only suppliers that I have found so far only seem to have plastic chain, which I don't want to use for either strength or aesthetic reasons.

I Googled looking for "chain link fence" because that's what I thought it was called, but this only seems to bring up tall fences with wire mesh and that's not what I am looking for.

I'm after stout metal fence chain, ideally in black.

Does anyone know of a supplier? I took a look at Cormaic's pages on the offchance but nothing there that I could see.

The type of chain used between the posts in this picture is what I have in mind

Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Try eBay - there's some suppliers there who're reasonable priced.

Reply to
Guy King

What would one search on? I tried "chain fence" but no luck - only one plastic chain and one wire mesh

Reply to
Andy Hall

===============================

think Screwfix do a similar chain.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1142 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Reply to
stevelup

Our local agricultural merchants sell steel chain, for use on farms, by length, off the reel. Several sizes, galvanised or black painted.

Reply to
Tony Williams

You used to be able to buy it by the metre in B&Q. Not sure I've seen it recently.

Wasn't it one of the B&Q's which had a notice next to the chain cutter "Not for pubic use"?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Willowcrete

mention it on their site, but there aren't any pictures. They do a lot of contract work for LAs.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Guy King

I cant believe no one has looked in screwfix?

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Looks like toolstation is a lot cheaper than screwfix.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Many thanks to all who replied.

The Toolstation/Screwfix stuff was what I had originally had in mind, although a plain chain with long links might be good as well.

It's a pity that all seems to be galvanised. I will need to come up with a way of painting it with hammerite or something in a reasonably quick way.

Another challenge will be identifying suitable fittings to attach the chain to the pillars (I think something like Screwfix 11782, but then the question is the attachment to that.... Something removable by me to allow the chains to be taken away and painted.

The final challenge is that the brick pillar tops need to be finished neatly. They will be approx. 300mm square. I don't want to use concrete caps or to leave them as plain brick, but rather to use something like a piece of slate perhaps 15-20mm thick. I am wondering what to use to attach the pieces. Mortar won't work, I feel, so I am wondering whether a suitable adhesive could be used. Epoxy perhaps or does anyone have a known good solution? I would prefer not to drill and screw them if I can avoid it.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nah! stick with the spike type,gives a bit more class.

Hammerite comes as a spray as well.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Code 31142

might be OTT Code 81384
you get the chain cheaper here than screwfix.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

====================== Made for the job:

far as painting is concerned I doubt if you need Hammerite over galvanised. For such an intricate painting job I would suggest dipping. It obviously worked for galvanising so it should be just as good for a final finish. Get a couple of litres of your desired paint and mix in a bucket with appropriate thinner (turps etc). Make a runny mix as if for spraying. Feed the sections of chain into the mix and then withdraw and allow to drain either back into the bucket or on to old newspaper. Repeat as necessary.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1147 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

Yep,and chain easily nicked. :-(

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

A bit too large as well.

So I see.

Reply to
Andy Hall

suspect that this will lead to something like a staple with loop plus some kind of shackle.

Certainly not from the protection point of view - I want black for appearance reasons.

I think that makes sense and would be reasonably quick as well. I certainly don't intend to sit with a brush painting the links - there's going to be 50m of the stuff.

Reply to
Andy Hall

======================= Maybe he doesn't live in Liverpool!

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1147 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

This isn't a large risk, but I don't believe in tempting fate either.

Reply to
Andy Hall