Mystified

Hi all.
I've been searching ebay for a corner chisel and came across this
from
a seller in america.
number 270181316687 - STANLEY #29 CORNER CHISEL 1/4 & 3/8
I can't figure it out.
Arthur
Reply to
Arthur 51
================================== Strange that it's marked 1/4" + 3/8" though. It certainly doesn't look as if it could do much chiselling - certainly not like a conventional corner chisel.
Cic.
Reply to
Cicero
It for removing the arris (sharp corner where two timber faces meet) from joinery - e.g. on doors.
You simply drag it along the edge to produce a small radius on the corner.
Reply to
dom
Well it's certainly got 1/4 and 3/8, and what looks like the Stanley logo, stamped on it. A case of two nations divided by a common language maybe!
Peter
Reply to
Peter Andrews
On 2 Nov, 11:20, "Peter Andrews" wrote:
Can anyone vouch for the pros and cons of the other corner chisels on ebay? The draper - item number 120176482219 or the cheapo - item number 160174807729
Thanks.
Arthur
Reply to
Arthur 51
I think the holes are the clue. They are machined such that they have sharp edges. It looks like you hold it with the free end arcing away from you, and apply it to the corner of a length of timber such that the corner of it is lined up with the centre of the hole, and then drag it along. The sharp edge of the hole then pares away the corner of the wood.
So completely different use from the tool we would call a corner chisel.
Reply to
John Rumm
Machine mart do the trend if you have one local? virtually the same price as the ebay one when you put the P&P on it.
Reply to
George
it.http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/corner-chisel/path/...> king-hand-tools
If I lean forward from desk at work I can see a machine-mart. So Thanks.
Arthur
Reply to
Arthur 51
"Arthur 51" wrote in message
it.http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/corner-chisel/path/...> > king-hand-tools
No probleem,actually the ebay one is the same price but dearer with the P&P added.
So as the saying goes always look up the price if possible? before buying off ebay
Reply to
George
Convenient if you are using a router to cut recesses for hinges - slightly easier to get precise alignment in the corner.
Reply to
Andy Hall
Designed for when routing hinge rebates etc. The corner chisel reaches the parts the router cutter cannot reach.
Reply to
John Rumm
Are you sure? I've used the smallest straight flute bit to get near enough and when the hinge has been screwed home into the rebate it made its own well formed corner,right snug fit as well.
Reply to
George
fluted cutter, but that leaves you too much radius in the corner. Hence a quick tap with a corner chisel fixes it.
Reply to
John Rumm
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 03:21:46 -0700, Arthur 51 wrote:
It's not a chisel, it's a plane (!) The idea is that it slightly rounds off _external_ edges, but they're fiddly to hold at just the right angle and don't work at all well. Veritas / Lee Valley still sell them today, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I've a few corner chisels, but don't really like them. They're no use for cutting mortices, only for final paring. They're also a damn nuisance to sharpen well - you have to get them sharp right into the corner with no protruding spur, otherwise you're better off with two chisels.
In Portobello Market last week I saw a corner chisel for sale,but with a 60° acute angle, not a right angle - now what's that all about?
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Site Timeline Threads

  • site's last updated in