Myson Velaire oil boiler servicing

I have been providing a free servicing and maintenance document for the Myson Velaire range of oil boilers for some time, and a surprising number of people have asked for it, considering the age of the boiler. To save people emailing me, they can now download it in pdf format from:

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

How do you clean the flue and chimney?

(Para 3 - at end of winter)

Also you don't specify the desire oil pressure or flue temperature which can be measure with relatively cheap equipment, or the CO2 % - which requires more expensive equipment.

(Not that I have one of these boilers anyway :-) )

Reply to
Michael Chare

This is just an extract from the manual that I use to service my boiler and which many others have found useful. I haven't cleaned the flue or chimney. Guess you just call in a man with a brush?

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

You could but 'the man' might find it quite of a challenge due to the probable presence of a flue liner.

I believe that I should confess to once doing this! Well he, 'the man', had really come to clean the chimeny above an open fire at the otther end of the house.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I don't know about liners. My boiler exhausts into a ceramic-lined chimney. Presumably liners can be swept? Of course you've got to disconnect the flue pipe from the boiler first.

I think flues are rarely simple. My house is very old and has a very wide open hearth. When I first moved in I imagined a pile of logs on a wide iron dog and so got the 'man' in to sweep it. Didn't advise it. He'd knock off the lime mortar lining and anyway my chimney wouldn't draw. Someone had topped it with a narrow stack and pot. Needless to say I tried anyway (before I decorated for the first time). The kids lasted two minutes. I managed five before I hit the garden choking. So then I put a hanging liner, plate and stove in.

Best wishes

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott