My door latches all have very sharp edges

I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or arm is at the same height as the latch.

All the internal latches in my house have very sharp edges on the brass protruding bit that engages with the striker plate. (See example latch here

all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

MM

Reply to
MM

I use roller latches, which have no sharp edges, on internal doors.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've taken a file to a few of our latches. Seems to be the cheap crap that's made these days. I wanted to get a decent quality one for the bathroom/toilet door as it's the most heavily used latch and have gone through 2 in as many years, usually resulting in someone getting trapped in. All I could find what cheap crap with the same sharp pointy edges and a very tinny feel.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

I've just felt a representative sample of mine, and they all have a slight radius on the ends - no chisel points! I don't know what make mine are - they've been there for decades. Maybe newer improved(!) ones have this problem?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I tore my shirt on an especially sharp one at a holiday cottage I stayed at once. Considering it was at head height for a young child, it could be very dangerous. I did point this out to the cottage owner who didn't seem very interested in either that danger or my torn shirt!

Reply to
Mr Benn

Indeed. Especially where kids are in the household.

MM

Reply to
MM