Musty smell in rooms.

On Jun 24, 9:35am, "sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote:

AIUI the usual advice is to knwck 1C off the usual 20C setting. I dont know anyone in the mainstream suggesting 10C.

Windows dont cause damp, unless rain is running in through them. They get wet if there's already damp.
NT
wrote in message

know anyone in the mainstream suggesting 10C.>>>>>>>
I didnt know that and I doubt he does. He gets his ideasfrom that BBC Spotlight presenter ( if anyone is in the SW) Justin ( cant recall the surnname). he is always going on about not putting his heating on until Christmas even when its really cold.
He seems to turn it off religiously in April too. My OH told me that " its the middle of June, you dont have heating this time of year"
The house was 10 degrees. I have thermometers in every room ( because of my chest, I know in winter I have to have the room at 20 degrees if I am ill). I put the heating on and now the bedroom is 16 degrees and the sitting room is 19 degrees - and after just two days the damp is going ( the bed clothes arent damp anymore) but I still have the smell,although its less than it was.
The sitting room is dry and warm and I slept in there the other night when I couldnt breathe
So,I am thinking you are right about the tempreture being a main problem here.
Thanks.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:18:24 +0100, "sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote:

Congratulations, you have just invented energy free refrigeration. Sell the mechanism and use the profits to heat the house or move to warmer climes.
sweetheart wrote:

Do go and fuck yourself.
It will keep you warm.
--
Adam

sweetheart wrote:

Beg, borrow, or steal a 'desiccant wheel' dehumidifier; they work down to about 2 deg C. They are more expensive to buy, though. I use one in the garage, where we store documents and electronic gear that would be damaged by excessive humidity, even then it struggles on windy wet days.

I understood it was something like 20 deg C in the lounge, and 22 if you're a wrinkly. SWMBO has suffered in the past with a 'chest', and likes it at 23 - 24 degC. Out gas bill is ~700 per annum, including domestic hot water. We live in the next county to you, and have been astonished how damp it is here all year round.
The sort of temperature numbers you are talking about are plainly ridiculous.
Keep in mind that damp and mould damages the building fabric as well as the human respiratory system. Cheese-paring on this scale is seeing only part of the 'problem' (which was generated by econutcases for their own reasons). This is essentially grounds for divorce; and I sense that to solve your damp problem some sort of revolution is in the offing.

Take the power monitor and throw it away; you're talking about shortened life expectancy here.

You aren't eating properly either. With a house that cold you need a high-fat diet, usually obtained from cooked meats. Living in 10 deg C and eating salads, in a mouldy atmosphere, is going to lead to shortened lives.
You're going to have to make big changes. They will be uncomfortable.
Terry Fields
wrote

Thank you. I understand what you are saying. I have put the heating on and its now 21 in the sitting room and 18 in the bedroom. That has not been easy by the way.
sweetheart wrote:

Those are not unreasonable figures, but 10 deg C certainly is.

I can well imagine.
My very elderly mother-in-law is the same, although she has plenty of money, but against all advice she takes it down to the level of personal hygiene, which was a strip-wash at the sink once a week. Then cellulitis set in, and after three recurrences and three trips to hospital (the sort of thing she did was to take the first three antibiotic pills and then say 'I'm fed up with that', so it all came back again) the big one came and she was unable to look after herself.
We live 250 miles away, and my wife had to spend seven weeks of 15-hour days getting her back on her feet and arranging a care package. This of course costs far more than she ever saved through her cheese-paring, and has severely reduced her already limited mobility. However, the bills have now come in for that period, and she's been ringing up what she calls 'the gas board' to get the meter checked, as she refuses to believe that anyone could squander 500 on gas over the six-month winter period.
But this is the sort of thing that happens when cheese-paring becomes an end in itself: it's killing my mother-in-law. So I fully understand the difficulties you are labouring under, but the bigger picture is that unless you get rid of the damp, heat the rooms, and eat properly, the money saved by watching the energy monitor will be an irrelevance.
Terry Fields
On 01/07/2012 08:56, Terry Fields wrote:

I think a lot of this is age related, and it creeps up on you if you're not careful. I find myself being frugal to the point of silliness and I have to force myself to spend money (well, it's a civic duty to aid the recovery isn't it?) I think the OP may now be going overboard with the temperatures. I find 17-18 deg comfortable and high enough to keep the place dry and warm. I don't lounge about in my vest but nor do I wear more than one jumper in the winter
stuart noble wrote:

My MiL always has been a highly neurotic hypochondriac. She deliberately chose to make herself housebound because the outside world is full of dog poo and dustcarts, two of her favourite neuroses. Her house was dirty and had a rodent infestation, until my wife cleaned it and got rid of the mice - seven weeks work including looking after her bedridden mother. MiL couldn't care less about things like these, but hoards kitchen paper and hand wash; she currently has about 50 of each in stock that she won't use in case they come in useful.
Did I tell you about the 20,000 Tesco bags she had stored away 'in case they come in useful'? It took three months to clear them, because random ones had the occasional cheque book or passbook in them, and they all had to be turned inside out before being dumped to make sure they were empty. This exercise caused a screaming match, and it wasn't the first or the last.
The doctor has prescribed a medicated skin cream to kill the bacteria that cause her skin infection. After asking for a double dose (two canisters per month instead of one because she wanted a stockpile, which was refused) she has now taken to stockpiling it by the simple expedient of not using it. Guess what? Cellulitis Attack Number 5 is now under way, and it seems like the antibiotics are having less effect.

Horses for courses. If my lounge ran at 18 degC, I'd be shivering. But then again, I don't eat red meat or high-fat foods so don't have personal 'central heating' to the extent I could turn the CH down to those sorts of figures.
Terry Fields

I don't find that anything like warm enough for just one jumper unless out and about rather than sitting around.

Got any links on that ? Even when an electric blanket or full down quilt is used ?

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 19:37:43 +0100, "sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote:

He's a right skinflint. Dump him and run away with Adam.

Ye Gods exchange one damp house for another?
I put the heating on . OH doesn't seem to have realised it yet.
"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message

When I bought this place nearly four years ago it stank to high heaven. The smell went away when the carpets were ripped up.

Carpets in the one room are about 15 years old. In the other ( the worst room) I have taken up the carpet and its bare floorboards now.
How about the walls? Could it be the wallpaper? I havent changed that ( its woodchip). I did re paint it though about six years ago
"sweetheart" <hotmail.com> wrote in message

I can't see it being the wallpaper.

sweetheart wrote:

So you've got floorboards in a bungalow? That means you've got suspended floors, which means the joists could be rotting if there's not enough ventilation. Check the outside airbricks underneath or very near the DPC and check them all the way around the property - they all need to be working properly. Check they go through OK by prodding a thin rod through about 2ft - a bamboo cane will do and prod about 6 or 7 different holes in each one and make sure they aren't blocked.
Also, check the floors in each room for 'bounce', especially near the exterior wall side

Sweetheart. When did this problem start?

Well, there has always been a bit of a problem in winter since we moved in the house - 20 years ago.
There has always been condenstation with the windows. The wondwos and patio doors in the sitting room were all wooden The bedrooms still are. My predecessor had the house insulated and draught proofed ( its all sealed everywhere) .
When I used to keep the heating on it was always fine. Then OH got eco and economy conscious about four years ago ( with the recession) and started forcing us to do the stuff the TV suggested - and then it all escallated and its got worse and worse and worse. Now its unliveable in the bedroom ( for me). The problem has really got far worse in the last month in there. It now stinks. So I cleaned and moved everything and am still trying to find it.
I got fed up, had a blazing row with him and started renewing all the wet sopping condensation wringing windows this last winter when they collapsed and I refused to take a Mr botch job and sent for the double glazing firm . I have A rated planitherm windows in the sitting room and the kitchen and a double glazed insulated door in the kitchen now. .
I didnt get as far as the bedrooms. They are still wooden and have thin double glazed units in them. They do get sopping wet when it is cold . It gets better if the weather improves. It gets worse when it rains and is cold like now.

On 23/06/2012 19:58, sweetheart wrote:

Without thermostatically controlled heating you might as well be living in a garden shed. You're going to kill yourself if you carry on living in those conditions I wonder if your loft insulation needs upgrading as the standards 20 years ago were miserly. Of course, no point without heating though.