Priming a water pump ?

Had a loan petrol driven water pump (small Honda unit)

Put pick up hose in water, took screw cap of top of pump ... filled with water, replace cap .. Start pump ... what is in the pump spurts out but that is all ... nothing from pick up hose.

I can't fill hose ... as gravity just makes it drain back out ?

Anybody know correct technique to get these pumping ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I have what sounds to be the same Honda powered pump. Firstly there should be a foot valve on the suction hose (incorporating a strainer) that stops water flowing from the bottom of the pipe. Secondly, yes they can be difficult to prime, but I've taken to filling the suction hose, then unscrewing the priming plug and pouring in water from a watering can until the pump starts gushing water vertically (it can go quite a way !!), then at arms length screwing the plug back in - yes you will get wet! Excellent pumps incidentally.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

no valve on the hose end .. it's just a 1" hose ...

what I have looks like the WX10 model on this web page:

I'll try filling hose, but it will empty as soon as I put it 'down'

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Fill both inlet and discharge hoses, then drop both ends in the water, start-up and then move the discharge hose?

Really you need to get a foot valve. Machinemart

stock them and they only cost £3.59.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

..well get a foot valve Dear Liza Dear Liza - get a foot valve !!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Not my pump ... it goes back Monday morning

Reply to
Rick Hughes

On 23/06/2012 12:23, SteveW wrote: ?

I just looked at Machine Mart ... the foot valve says all it does is act as strainer ? .... it won't help at all with teh fact the damn thing won't prime.

I managed to get it sucking by having a bucket of water above pump level and filling hose first ... but as soon as I lower to lower than pump it stops sucking.

After 2 Hrs ,, gave up trying to get it to work

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sorry about that. It appears that Machine Mart's website is wrong. When looking at "more info" it does seem to suggest just a strainer; however I only read the level above, where it reads "A 1" diameter foot valve and filter" - which definitely implied that it was the full item!

You will still need a foot valve to get it working.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW