"Multiboard" from Jewsons

Can anyone tell me about 'multiboard', as sold by Jewsons? Is it flame-proof? What is it made of? How much heat can it take before it disintegrates or distorts? What is it used for?

Thanks

Frank

Reply to
Frank Z

yes, up to a point

some sort of "plaster" reinforced with glass fibre I think

you can use it to support / insulate stuff while silver soldering (although it does discolour and split a bit)

modern replacement for old cement/asbestos board; typically for "roofing in" an inglenook fireplace where a woodburner flue goes through.

Reply to
OldScrawn

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if it is really as heat-proof and flame-proof as the old asbestos board used to be. I suspect not, if it is made of gypsum and glass fibre...

The people at Jewsons seemed to be unable to offer any information about the stuff, except that it was the best thing they had as a substutute for asbestos sheet.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Z

Yes

I would guiess fiber galss strands ina plster or cement matrix.

Ive used a scarp bit when plumbing as a heat shield, It gets a bit flakey at yellow heat :-)

# Fireproof insulation. I have it all over my house under the thatch - its also mildly permeable to moisture. I have it also to act as a register plate over the open fires and stoves and teh aga, where its painted black.

Its the modern answer to asbestos board, Great stuff, but very pricey!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thatched roof and aga cooker - Sounds nice.

Thanks to everyone for the input. It sounds like the stuff may do the job. Now I just have to guess which thickness I need! I'm going to use it to line a fire recess - to cover up the o;d bricks which are badly laid and therefore unsightly. I also want to use it to block of the flue immediately above, and divert the smoke into an adjacent flue (the one that comes from an unused fireplace on the floor below.

Someone said multiboard is expensive but an 8x4 sheet, 6,, thick is only $20... could be worse... probably cheaper than asbestos would have been if it was still legal.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Z

Fuck off Noddy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which Jewsons branch is trading in dollars?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Read that as 20 UKP!

Frank