Mower blade

You think I can get another season out of this blade?:

Still I suppose I can't complain, this would be its 14th year. The other one was ok, but I figured it was time to treat it to a new set anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well, it's not a Magnum, but "You've Got To Ask Yourself One Question: 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well, Do Ya, Punk?"

Reply to
GB

I can help but wonder if some South Island farmers might yet claim they'd get a couple more years out of that with the application of some No 8 wire :) Pity MattyF's not around to ask.

Reply to
Robin

I spotted it when I had the deck inverted so I could weld up some damage to the leading edge.

It did briefly cross my mind that I could probably bend it back into shape and weld it up. Then I thought better of it!

Reply to
John Rumm

Judging by the rust on the broken edge, it has been like it for some time. Can't remember if I looked at it last year - so it could have been like that for a while.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ohhhh! Dangerous!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Call yourself a DIYer! I've welded up worse than that and am still mowing with it 10 years later. In fact my 30+ years old Hayter Harrier original blade has been built up and repaired with weld many times! Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

+1! As John pointed out, from the rust that crack had been there for quite a while!
Reply to
newshound

My 30+ year old Ransomes Mountfield is still on it's original blade. Although, these days it's only used to keep the weeds & tufts down along the outside of a fence that the council fail to cut. Previous use on communal rough grass areas & 3 elderly neighbour's gardens plus my own, gave it, & me, a fair workout once a week.

Reply to
wasbit

It was not the risk of failure after welding that I was worried about particularly, more unbalancing it and adding more vibration (it is one of a pair of counter rotating blades)

Reply to
John Rumm

Fair point. But you only have to balance the blades individually, not the "system".

Reply to
newshound

I wouldn't use it as is. But I'd happily snap it, grind it clean & weld it. Re balance, things like that are very easy to statically balance. An angle grinder can easily make adjustments.

Reply to
Animal

I just balance it with a pencil or nail through the mounting bolt hole and grind more of the heavy end.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers