Moving ceiling light

Not so much that, more a case of 1mm^2 is the smallest T&E used and anything smaller would start to get a bit fragile, not to mention the resistance would creep up - hence more brightness variation and longer disconnect times in the event of a fault.

Also there is a (not often used) standard lighting circuit protected with a 10A MCB, and that is somewhat closer to the 1mm^2 11.5A "in conduit" rating for the cable.

Indeed... A reflection of reality that in many properties, the only electrical provision installed was for lighting. Sockets etc came later.

I suppose you could install a 0.75mm^2 T&E if there were such a thing, but I expect in most cases the savings would be marginal.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, the nominal rating is 100W or the actual load, whichever is greater.

So one with a 500W radiant heater lamp would count as 500W not 100W.

Reply to
John Rumm

150W GLS lamps were commonly available, and fine in a normal pendant fitting. You had to take care with the choice of shade though.
Reply to
John Rumm

An arrangement which IMO is much safer than using a wall socket: good light on the work from ironing under the lamp and no trip hazard from flex across the floor to a wall socket. Plus the educational benefits available when fingers enter an empty socket in the adapter ;)

Reply to
Robin

Slight lack of earthing though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think 10A lighting circuits are much more common in commercial premises with banks of fluorescents, but usually 1.5mm cable would be used.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Those don't plug into pendant BC sockets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's more than one grade of pendant, they have different max wattage ratings. Is it T1 & T2?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Those old lights often had insulation fallen off on the pendant flex & meta l holders, there was no earthing, cordgrips were often inadequate or absent , wire connections were sometimes lousy press-fit, you were looking into a lightbulb when plugging it into a socket that welcomed fingers. But other t han that, yes, very safe.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

possibly - but I haven't seen any with sufficient output yet and they'd need to be dimmable.

Reply to
charles

Our first house, wired in 1947, had 4 "power points"; one in each bedroom and one in the kitchen. There was a 2A socket off the lighting circuit in the living room.

Reply to
charles

I've found 250 watt BS and 300 watt ES

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Nearly double that, 500W.

Reply to
dennis

You can get higher power than that. But BR uses 100w each as the rule IIRC.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can certainly get them bright enough..

Finding a dimmable one will require a bit more googling.

Fitting new LED panels is probably a better idea.

Reply to
dennis

I don't think our hirers would like such a "cold" colour temperature

I'd prefer to look at a trade show.

but it would probably involve a major rewiring job - and would involve scaffolding because of the ceiling height. That might mean closing the hall to hirers for a week. Not a good idea.

Reply to
charles

Yup, the BS specifies that they are tested with cap temperature of 175 deg C for T1 and 220 deg C for T2 - however it states that is not to be confused with the limiting temperature for operation, and refers to IEC

60432. That talks about 12 month average temps and for 150 and 200W lamps specifies the average should not exceed 135 deg C for a normal bayonet cap lamp. (which suggests that in reality, either grade of holder should survive a 150W lamp)
Reply to
John Rumm

When at my last place, I rewired the neighbours adjoining semi for them. That had its original 1956 rubber wiring. Very similar provision on the socket front - although it may have had five sockets originally!

Reply to
John Rumm

My mum's 1968 bungalow had *no* sockets in the third bedroom.

My 1968 council flat was comparatively well equipped with 2 sockets in each bedroom and lounge and *three* in the kitchen plus a cooker point.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

h bedroom and lounge and *three* in the >kitchen plus a cooker point.

The new build my parents bought in 1962 had no sockets in the third bedroom , one single in each of the other bedrooms, two singles in the through loun ge, three singles in the kitchen only because one should have been a cooker point but they opted for gas and a single in the corridor. I think in thos e days you got what you were given and there were no options for adding add itional sockets. Oddly enough there was provision for two wall lights as we ll as a centre light in the lounge, fortunetly they did not go for those "C lam shell" types that were all the rage in the 50s.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky